Bitcoin Core wont start, stuck on loop

Hello, I have a problem, Bitcoin Core wont start and its kind of in a loop, here it is the error log

and I tryed and deleted “transaction index” from “Actions” menu, but still same problem, it shut down and start again same error.

How to fix this, thank you.

Hi.

When you say it is in a loop, what exactly do you see on your health checks for Bitcoin Core?

Try going to your Config under Bitcoin Core & then click Save. This should clear it up for you.

Hi, when I said in a loop, I meant it will go try to start and shutdown and repeat itself infinite.

When I start service, it’s on “starting” status and then “running”, then it shutdown and “starting” then “running” … (loop)

I saved config, and same problem, have any other idea?

What hardware are you running your Server on?

Are any of your services stuck in starting, or in that same loop or is it just Bitcoin Core? Have you tried restarting the entire Server or just Bitcoin Core?

I am running my server on

Nuc Mini Pc , Silent , FANLESS
i3 Gen 7
16GB Ram DDR4 SODDIM
1TB SSD
Graphics UHD intel
Wi Fi 5Ghz 2.4ghz
Bluetooth 5.0

Yes, I have restarted entire server, and got some other services, they work ok, only Core have problems, this server worked fine for 7-8 months maybe, yesterday started with this problem.

here it is my services

If multiple services are stuck in a starting state for an extended period of time try restarting the server. If the problem persists you can try to go system → system rebuild. This will take some time as it will reconstruct all your containers but your data will be preserved

@Rick
Hi, I tryed and reconstructed all containers with system rebuild, but same problem, and only Bitcoin Core service is stuck on starting and services that are dependent on Core, like LND, Electrs, other services like Vaultwarden and Cups they work well.

Is there any possibility to “uninstall” only Bitcoin Core and not blockchain data, and then reinstall it?

Look at your bitcoin logs for any errors. For example “ndex not found. Please rebuild the index.” We have several actions in Bitcoin Core → actions that will fix certain things. It could another be error as well, but the error message will give you a clue about what might have been corrupted. I would try this before uninstalling and reinstalling Bitcoin Core

@Rick
Thats what I did before posting here, Action > Delete Transaction Index, same problem.

Uninstalling, without deleting blockchain data, possible?

Have you modified the config for Block Filters at all?

Coincidentally @Rick someone with the same issue yesterday on Telegram.

They had to toggle Config > Advanced > Block Filters
It should then work, and if not try the action again.

1 Like

@StuPleb

Thank you, I checked Config> Advanced >Block Filters> “Compute Compact Block Filters (BIP 158)” this was “enabled” and I disabled it, and started Bitcoin Core and its syncing and its working.

I just remember that, after trying to solve this problem, at config I clicked “restore to defaults”, maybe by default this is enabled?

@StuPleb can you give me lightning address to tip? Thanks.

EDIT

Well I guess after some block sync, again in another “loop” and have another problem.

It starts to sync, from block 853007 to 853033 and error “process is terminated by SIGBUS”, and Bitcoin Core service shut down, and starts again and stuck in this kind of loop.

I tryed to raise DB cache to 2500MB, same problem.

OK, that’s a altogether different problem. You’ll likely find something in your Kernel and OS logs around the same time.

I’m experiencing similar issues with Bitcoin Core not starting and getting stuck in a loop. I’ve tested this on two different computers with varying hardware specifications:

1. Dell Precision 7710: i7 processor, 16GB RAM
  2. Fujitsu Futro 740s: 4-core Celeron processor, 8GB RAM

Key points about my experience:

I’m using the standard Start9 OS without any modifications.
The issue persists across multiple attempts and hardware changes.
I’ve observed the sync process stopping at various percentages (15%, 83%, 97%) with a “terminated by SIGBUS” error.
I initially suspected SSD issues, but the problem continued even after replacing with a new 2TB M.2 SATA drive.
I’ve also tried installing RaspiBlitz via Proxmox on the Futro 720s, encountering syncing problems there as well.
Interestingly, my old RaspiBlitz setup on a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB RAM, 1TB SSD) continues to run without issues.

The log files consistently show the process terminating with a SIGBUS error during the “Verifying blocks” stage, specifically when verifying the last 6 blocks at level 3. Has anyone encountered similar issues, particularly with the SIGBUS error? Are there any known hardware compatibility issues or configuration tweaks that might resolve this problem? Any insights or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Making9976! Welcome to our community!

A SIGBUS error occurs when a process tries to access invalid memory, often due to hardware issues like faulty RAM or a corrupted filesystem. It can also happen if the system runs out of memory or if there are alignment issues on certain hardware architectures. In the context of Bitcoin Core, it might indicate problems with the hardware, disk space, or corrupted blockchain data.

What to Do:

• Check OS/Kernel Logs: Review logs for hardware errors or disk issues.
  • Run a Memory Test: Use tools like memtest86 to check for faulty RAM.
  • Verify Disk Health: Check the health of your storage device using smartctl or similar tools.
  • Rebuild Blockchain Data: If the blockchain data is suspected to be corrupted, you may need to run one of Actions in service page.