[DIY] Exposing electrs and bitcoind over LAN in StartOS 0.3

Hi guys, is there any news if and when this feature for Electrs will be implemented?

It will be an OS feature, made easier with v036, and built into the UI in v040. You can do this already using the method listed by @remcoros

We have no time estimate currently.

Thanks for posting this - ive been playing around in the ssh terminal trying to figure out how to do this for a different service.

1 Like

Thanks for this! It worked like a champ!

Would this change need to be undone/removed upon an official Start9 update that enables LAN Electrs/Bitcoin Core connections?

Probably, but it’s easy to turn off. I’m sure @remcoros will explain when the time comes.

1 Like

All changes done like this (using the ‘chroot-and-upgrade’ method) will be LOST on a system rebuild and on a StartOS update.

That’s the beauty of StartOS, a system rebuild or StartOS update will bring the ‘core operating system files’ in a clean state as if it was just installed.

So: after a system rebuild, re-install or StartOS update you have to apply this again. (or not, when 0.3.6/0.4 have this functionality)

2 Likes

So There is essentially no easy way to enable electrs Port 50002 (SSL) or am I misreading this post? (at least not using this method)
There must be a way as MyNode uses the same electrs implementation and it has 50002 enabled on the local LAN by default. Also, just saw that StartOS v0.3.6 just had a placeholder added in the repo labeled 0.3.6 alpha a couple of weeks ago… perhaps the wait is not so long now but then again there is no guarantee it would be implemented in that release anyway.

electrs does not provide SSL support out of the box. See this: electrs/doc/config.md at master · romanz/electrs · GitHub

What other node providers like Umbrel probably do, is providing a reverse proxy (like nginx) with a certificate already setup like described in that documentation. StartOS does not do this (yet).

In my homelab, I have setup nginx reverse proxy manager with a free LetsEncrypt certificate and proxy it to StartOS using the example configuration provided by electrs.