Problem installing StartOS on Minisforum Venus Serie UM790 Pro mini-PC

Thank you so much for your attention .

Love your country (football, Oranje, landscapes, history, arts and culture, people, ladies - in no particular order) but I’m afraid at this point it’s impossible - I’m in New Jersey, US lol.

Last thing I may try could be a particular drive(s) - I meant to ask you how you like your Lexar NM790 2 Tb, is it working well? I never had that drive. My StartOS running on UM780XTX is installed on SAMSUNG 990 PRO, which I have no complains about whatsoever. I also tried to install on TEAMGROUP T-Force A440 Lite 2TB Graphene and now have my Windows Servers 19 and 22 installed on them and they’re very good as well. Other drives I tried were Kioxia and SK Hynix - all failed with the same error posted.

I actually have another Minisforum Venus Serie UM790 Pro, which I bought shortly after the first one and it should have the older BIOS v. 1.06 and I didn’t even open it yet. So I’m going to try that one w/o upgrading the BIOS and, perhaps, using different drives, possibly your Lexars and will see what happens.

I will let you know how it goes, meanwhile I installed Windows 11 on UM790 Pro in RAID 0 setup and it looks very good, although it’s my first try of Windows 11.

Thank you again and I appreciate your attention very much.

Cheers!

Thank you for the reply.

As you may know the UM790 Pro BIOS is rather limited, truncated UEFI one - not a good old-fashion BIOS, which I share your sentiment about as well.

“…since your error is specifically related to secure boot and other “EFI” nonsense” - not quite sure what makes you think, that it is related to secure boot but regarding some other ““EFI” nonsense” I did submit some settings to MinisForim Support, which still remains unanswered and don’t think it ever will be.

As I mentioned above, being not so much experienced in Linux, nevertheless I know it’s a rule of thumb to disable Secure Boot from the off and that’s how I had my Linux distros installed in the past - so my Secure Boot is always disabled irrespective of the OS I use. On the other hand some of those settings were unknown to me and even after googling I was not sure about one or two of them.

This is what I sent to MinisForum Support regarding some EFI settings:

NX Mode dis or en ?

PSS Support en

Re-Size BAR Support en

Above 4G Decoding en

SR-IOV Support en

Global C-state Control auto or en ?

SVM Lock auto or en ?

SVM Enable auto or lock ?

PSPP Policy auto or lock ?

Special Display Features Hybrid graphics or Disabled

Primary Video Adaptor Int Graphics (IDG) or Ext Graphics (PEG) ?

Secure Boot Mode Standard or Custom Restore Factory Keys/Reset to Setup Mode ?

In order not to be only verbal, I took the screen shots of the EFI BIOS settings how I have them so you can see the settings I was asking about as well as the Secure Boot settings, which also was mentioned to MinisForum Support - attached please find them and apologies for not so high resolution.

As for the drive w/different interface, may be you can suggest how - there are only two M.2 interfaces inside UM790 Pro. I have some SATA drives and they only can be connected through the USB cable and I don’t think StartOS supports that kind of installation, which I would not want to install the Server on external SATA drive anyway. As for different drives, I tried to install on SAMSUNG 990 PRO, TEAMGROUP T-Force A440 Lite 2TB Graphene, Western Digital 500 GB SSD, Kioxia, SK Hynix and Corsair Force Series MP510 2TB. All failed.

Thanks again for your attention to this.

There are certainly many positive aspects to the Netherlands, although, like many places around the world, it is undergoing changes—some of which may not be for the better. That said, we apparently rank fifth among the countries with the happiest people :smile:

I’m pleased with my Lexar SSD. I selected this drive based on a review I read, as well as its relatively high read and write speeds.

Lexar NM790 2 TB SSD M.2 2280 (PCIe 4.0 Gen4x4 NVMe 1.4)

• Read: 7400 MB/s
  • Write: 6500 MB/s
  • P/N: LNM790X002T-RNNNG

The UM780XTX features an AMD processor, which I’m told is often a better match for running a Linux distri. The UM790 Pro is my first Minisforum PC, and I chose this model because it has received numerous accolades in reviews for being an outstanding piece of hardware. Having a nearly silent node is essential for me.

Keep me updated! I have a strong feeling that you’ll find a way to make it work!

Thank you!

As far as “undergoing changes—some of which may not be for the better”, you don’t have to tell me - I live in States :grimacing: (at least for now). So, lucky you :smile:

I like the UM780XTX a lot and it’s also silent. I removed the top, turned off the lights, disabled in BIOS, removed the gobo etching sheet rubbish, put on top AC Infinity MULTIFAN S3, Quiet 120mm USB Fan, which fits perfectly and it’s running super cool between 47° - 51° Celsius. But they have same Ryzen7 7840HS Processor and I was able to install Linux w/o problem just like any other Windows. I just want to have my server on UM790 Pro and have the Operating System on UM780XTX to utilize it’s Oculink Port for external GPU - thing is AMD’s integrated Radeon 780M doesn’t support Windows Server video capabilities at full 3840x2160 resolution, only @1920x1080. I tried some tricks by modifying the InstallManifest.jason in driver’s files but it didn’t work for me. I agree on UM790 Pro though - it’s fine piece of hardware and I think they added the Oculink Port to its newer model, which is great.

Thanks for kind words and I will let you know if I succeed in taming of that shrew.

Cheers!