2FA for increased security

Hey everyone,

I’m just learning the Start9 operating system as all my previous experience has been with running an Umbrel node. I really love the features & how you get to see more of how things work ‘under the hood’.

One thing I was looking for was activating a 2FA for access to the Start9 node similar to on an Umbrel node for increased security. Is this a feature as I could not find it so far?

thanks all!

Bruce

Hi.

This feature has been requested before & you can help it gain traction by upvoting it here → Add option to enable 2FA · startos:fans & asking others to do the same to gain more traction behind the request.

If there is enough interest & available time from the Devs, then it could be incorporated, but it is not available as of yet.

ok, thank you for this information.

Do you know of any reason they would not want to include this as a security feature such as possible trade offs with privacy? Can’t say I’m a huge fan of Google or Microsoft with their track record in the past over privacy concerns.

Maybe one of the other Members is more informed on it than I am & will add in their comment, but currently there are other more pressing thing that are being worked on by the devs, such as the next major release, v 0.3.6 (no ETA on this yet as a lot of testing is currently underway).

Makes sense, thanks!

Hi Bruce,

It’s not something that has been forgotten or ignored, it’s just with so much to implement with such a small team, we have to choose where to spend our energy.

For example, StartOS has had other security features long before Umbrel, such as LAN https support, and encrypted remote backups. Those (we would think) are more important than 2FA access to the StartOS UI where you are the only one in the world who knows is there anyway (you have to be in your LAN, or you’d have to post your private .onion address to a hacker).

In the unusual circumstance that you let strangers use your WiFi, they’d still have trouble logging in as the login screen is rate limited and not brute-forceable.

Added to that, since each Service you install has its own interface, 2FA on the server OS itself isn’t as useful as it seems, because if you’ve exposed your private .onions 2FA on the OS would have no part to play.

But yes, it would be nice to have.

Excellent Information Stu – thanks for sharing all that!

I had no idea about all those other security features. Thank you for enlightening me!

Small team or not, you guys are doing a great job! So far with what I’ve explored, I’m really glad I migrated over from Umbrel.

Cheers!

1 Like