Alby Hub backup

In the Alby User Guide, I found the following information about backups.

In the backup process within StartOS (System > Create Backup), you have the option to include Alby Hub and LND. Does this backup encompass the seed and channels? Additionally, is it possible to generate your own channel backup file instead of the custom made within Start9?

There’s a few questions in there. Let me address the the most pertinent one first. On StartOS, it is recommended that you use the built in backup system. In case of disaster recovery, this will allow you to restore your services through the process prescribed, and supported in StartOS. But like any other unsupported options and command, you can ssh into the container, and do as much hacking as you are willing to take responsibility for the results of. Keep in mind, as a precaution to avoid an inconsistent channel state, resulting in loss of funds, restoring a backup of your lightning service will close all channels.

https://docs.start9.com/0.3.5.x/user-manual/ssh

Do not mess with SSH unless you know what you’re doing (which I only have to a limited degree). I do get the message :innocent:. I don’t want to risk losing any funds, so I’ll steer clear of it.

To add to that, with Alby Hub you must remember that depending on how you set up you are either using it as an interface to LND or you’re using LDK inside Alby Hub.

This means for LND users (99%) that backing up LND is backing up your channels and onchain funds.
And for LDK, backing up AlbyHub is backing up your channels and onchain funds.

The StartOS backup process is the way to do this, as this backs up not only the private key but the channel data and the configuration of the service itself. You can independently go into the properties section of LND and copy your seed… but remember this is not enough to recover funds, you need a static channel backup too.

Thank you for the extra details. This information is important to incorporate into the outstanding documentation you created. :partying_face: :pray:

Thanks, yes, I think I could add a backup section. Good suggestion. I’ve noticed a few typos in there too.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.