Bios Troubles Booting Start OS

So after two failed attempts getting a full node up and running with StartOS on a Lenovo Thinkpad X61s, I picked up a slightly newer Lenovo Thinkpad W520 with USB 3 ports (hoping to speed up the Bitcoin Block Sync on an external SSD), but now I’m stuck with a StartOS specific boot loading problem.

When I install Ubuntu on that machine, I can boot into the Ubuntu OS no problem. But trying to install and boot into StartOS fails with “PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable”. I have reset the boot device priorities to the default settings in BIOS, and as I said, installing and booting from a regular ubuntu installation works fine, but for some reason StartOS cannot boot on this machine.

Any tips ?

Good day Chris,

Sorry to hear about things not going the way you planned with your two Lenove DIY builds. Could you give us a bit more details on your hardware setup for both machines, as many things could be the reason for this when going the route of a DIY build? How much RAM; Storage (SSD?); etc.

For instance, as stated in our ’ DIY Guidelines (x86_64)', if you want to use a Bitcoin stack, you will want 8GB+ of RAM and 1TB+ of storage.

In addition, if you haven’t yet, you can have a look at the forum post called [Known-Good Hardware Master List] Hardware Capable of Running StartOS]([Known-Good Hardware Master List] Hardware Capable of Running StartOS).

It has a list of all hardware that the DIY build has been successfully run on and even thought I do see Lenovo on the list, non of the models you mentioned are on there.

To help save you some time, the ones listed for Lenovo are:

• 720q Tiny (11-20w power draw)
  • x270
  • Thinkcentre and Thinkcentre Tiny
  • Lenovo Thinkpad:
    • T470
    • T550

It might be worth joining the DIY Community on Telegram as someone may have the same model build out you have → Telegram: Contact @start9_labs

I do hope one of these resources help.

1 Like

Thanks OKIN
I’ll be away from home for a while so I cannot check, but the external SSD is 2 TB and I think the ram was 16GB. Will have to double check when I return. The telegram group sounds like a great idea. Thanks.

2 Likes