Bitcoin Core nearly fully synced, but now not getting outbound connections

Running Bitcoin Core through StartOS on a RPi4 (I know, string me up now haha). Just poor right now and cannot afford to use disposable income on better equipment. I was well prepared for it to take a month to sync, that is not the current issue.

My issue is now, most times when I log in to the GUI to check on the status of the sync, I see that even the outbound connections are “0” a lot of the time. I have nothing on the router or network side that would prevent my server from talking to the outside world. The logs show it is still syncing and validating blocks, albeit very slow.

Any thoughts? Thanks ahead of time!

If you’re downloading blocks, then you’re clearly downloading them from somewhere. How are the verifying this? No matter what you do, you’re not going to speed up the syncing.

Hey there! I am verifying this via the bitcoind logs in the GUI, as well as the “Properties” section in the Bitcoin Core service section. And yeah I totally understand there is no way to speed anything up, I was not really worried so much about that. I just wanted to make sure the server was still connecting to outbound peers at all.

It used to connect to and show 10 outbound connections. Now, at most, I only see a few at a time. Is that typically normal? I have not run any kind of node since around 2021.

Logs will show specific issues with peers. Could it be that at this particular time you had connectivity issues?

Where you need to worry is if the sync process drops below 100%.

Hmm that is a great point. It has really just been the last few days honestly. Started around once I hit somewhere in the ~80ish% percent range of the IBD. I will definitely keep an eye on it more and track it more once it completes the initial sync. If it ever completes it haha. We are only doing around 3500 blocks a day at this time.