Bitcoin Core RPC, TOR Quick Connect and Security

Hello everyone Iā€™m pretty new to all this, so please forgive me :slight_smile:.

My TOR Quick connect link was briefly exposed in a search function on a website. I have since changed my RPC credentials.

What would be the risks (if any) associated with someone having the TOR Quick Connect URL for BTC Core? Should Core be reinstalled or just change the access points?

Thanks in advance for any help or Guides.

Changing RPC was definitely the right move. You cannot change the access point as far as producing a new .onion. If someone has your quick connect then they have your .onion. Knowing the .onion address, attackers might try to exploit vulnerabilities or attempt brute-force attacks on services running behind that address. Exposure can lead to potential de-anonymization attempts or traffic analysis.

So whether you reinstall is up to you. Depends on your threat level. I tend to be on the paranoid side, so if it was me I probably would just to be safe. But other than a potential loss of privacy, there may not be really much concern if you changed your password

Thanks Rick I appreciate the response, and I am glad that my gut reaction that this was a big mistake happened to be correct!

I will be going through and reinstalling. Is there a way to keep the downloaded blockchain data or would it require me to resync all of that as well?

The simplest way is to resync. Migration is possible but it is an advanced feature. You can look through this guide if you want to give it a shot

https://docs.start9.com/0.3.5.x/service-guides/bitcoin/blockchain-copy

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.