Coming Over From Umbrel - Questions

I have a HP mini PC that I was able to get the Start9OS running on… all be it I didn’t really understand what I was doing with some of the steps like Trusting the root certificate authority and setting up the management console… What was that all about?

I currently have it syncing Bitcoin Core. MyNode and Umbrel allowed me to do this over Tor. What are the basics of running a Start9OS node over Tor?

Thanks for any insights… I’m basically looking for this machine to just a.) sit there and run a node b.) be easily accessible on my local network c.) have sparrow reference it over my local network

Regards, Newbie

1 Like

In order for your devices to connect to your server securely, they need to trust it’s certificate. You can think of it like a cryptographic identity. It’s how your devices know who they are talking to. You’ll need to do these steps on each device which will be connecting to your server. It sounds like you were able to get the server running, and install a service. If your Trust Root CA setup was successful, your next step is probably to install, and setup Sparrow, on your client device.

Please note that this is not the guide for running Sparow on the actual server, and accessing it through the web UI.

1 Like

If you want Bitcoin Core to only connect to peers over Tor, there is an option to disable clearnet in the config. Keep in mind that Tor can be slow, and/or unreliable at times. I do run mine this way, and have never had an issue.

Services>Bitcoin Core>Config>Advanced>Peers

1 Like

Awesome, I’m happy there is a simple solution to run over Tor… I guess I could do the initial sync over clearnet to increase speed and then swap to Tor later for continued privacy?

Thanks for the guide on Sparrow

It might sync faster that way. The bottleneck often isn’t the bandwidth though. It’s the CPU during the verification. Especially on the last 15%, as the UTXO set has exploded in size, and complexity. You’ll notice that the first 75% syncs pretty quickly, and you’re thinking “Wow, this is going to be done in no time!” But then each percentage complete, comes slower and slower.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the info!