Core Lightning, send always fails

Hello, I am using the latest version of the Core Lightning service, and it has worked on the past (both sending and receiving). For the last couple of weeks or so, however, I have been unable to send to any invoice, even small amounts. I have active channels and plenty of outbound liquidity.

The send always runs out of routes after a few dozen attempts of so, the payment deadline expires, and it stops retrying. I’ve tried opening new channels with multiple popular nodes (Boltz, Voltage, ACINQ, 1ML, etc), closing channels and opening new ones, and deleting the gossip store. Nothing seems to get it into a state where I can send.

The log shows lots of errors like: (not sure if these are relevant, or expecting in normal operation)

htlc XX failed from Xth node with code 0x1007 (WIRE_TEMPORARY_CHANNEL_FAILURE)

and

BROKEN plugin-topology: DEPRECATED API USED: listchannels.include_private by "pay:listchannels#XXX/cln:listchannels#XXXX"

My next step will probably be to close all channels and clear the balance, so that I can do a full uninstall and reinstall of the service from scratch, but thought I’d see if anyone has some less drastic things I might test, or if anyone has encountered this before.

Hey paulscode!

Sorry to hear you’re running into this issue, and thanks for the detailed info! Looks like its a known issue and fix is incoming , and it seems like it’s a known problem that will likely be fixed in an upcoming version. I would advice to wait before nuking your CLN.

1 Like

Thanks, I noticed a new version just dropped. I’ll try it out when I get back home. Fingers crossed :smiley:

I am having a similar issue. Core Lightning is failing to send. I just setup the node yesterday and am running version 24.8.0.1. I am not seeing the listchannls error that paulscode is seeing. I have a channel open with bolz and in my last attempt I see:

2024-10-21T08:02:54-04:00  2024-10-21T12:02:54.883Z INFO 026165850492521f4ac8abd9bd8088123446d126f648ca35e60f88177dc149ceb2-chan#2: htlc 11 failed from 1th node with code 0x1007 (WIRE_TEMPORARY_CHANNEL_FAILURE)
<snip>
2024-10-21T08:03:49-04:00  2024-10-21T12:03:49.210Z INFO plugin-clnrest: RPC Error: {'code': 210, 'message': 'Ran out of routes to try after 8 attempts: see `paystatus`', 'attempts': [{'status': 'failed', 'failreason': 'failed: WIRE_TEMPORARY_CHANNEL_FAILURE (reply from remote)', 'partid': 0, 'amount_msat': 10000000}, {'status': 'failed', 'failreason': 'failed: WIRE_TEMPORARY_CHANNEL_FAILURE (reply from remote)', 'partid': 1, 'amount_msat': 10000000, 'parent_partid': 0}, {'status': 'failed', 'failreason': 'failed: WIRE_TEMPORARY_CHANNEL_FAILURE (reply from remote)', 'partid': 2, 'amount_msat': 10000000, 'parent_partid': 1}, {'status': 'failed', 'failreason': 'failed: WIRE_TEMPORARY_CHANNEL_FAILURE (reply from remote)', 'partid': 3, 'amount_msat': 10000000, 'parent_partid': 2}, {'status': 'failed', 'failreason': 'failed: WIRE_TEMPORARY_CHANNEL_FAILURE (reply from remote)', 'partid': 4, 'amount_msat': 10000000, 'parent_partid': 3}, {'status': 'failed', 'failreason': 'failed: WIRE_TEMPORARY_CHANNEL_FAILURE (reply from remote)', 'partid': 5, 'amount_msat': 10000000, 'parent_partid': 4}, {'status': 'failed', 'failreason': 'failed: WIRE_TEMPORARY_CHANNEL_FAILURE (reply from remote)', 'partid': 6, 'amount_msat': 10000000, 'parent_partid': 5}, {'status': 'failed', 'failreason': 'failed: WIRE_TEMPORARY_CHANNEL_FAILURE (reply from remote)', 'partid': 7, 'amount_msat': 10000000, 'parent_partid': 6}]}

Sadly, I am also still not able to send even after updating to 24.08.1. The update resolved the deprecated API used message, but that doesn’t seem to have been the cause. I’m still consistently getting the code 0x1007 (WIRE_TEMPORARY_CHANNEL_FAILURE) in the logs and eventually runs out of routes to try, payment deadline expires, and it stops retrying.

Someone on NOSTR told me Boltz does not route payments. That is who I had my channel open to as well. I am not sure if this valid or not.