EmbassyOS launch error

Hello community,
I would like to ask you for help with EmbassyOS installation. I have my own hw (Intel NUC Kit - NUC7PJYHN). There is only UEFI boot possible, so I can not install EmbassyOS from memory stick.

I had to install Debian and then embassyos_amd64.deb. Installation was successful, but embassyOS has problem - in web browser is error message (please check the enclosed screenshot).

“Deserialization error”
“missing fields os-partitions”

Here is output of /var/log/embassy-init.log.

2022-12-17T19:52:23.008787Z ERROR inner_main{cfg_path=None}: embassy_init: missing field os-partitions
2022-12-17T19:52:23.009349Z DEBUG inner_main{cfg_path=None}: embassy_init: missing field os-partitions
2022-12-17T19:52:25.814643Z ERROR inner_main{cfg_path=None}:init{disk_guid=None error=Error { source:
0: missing field os-partitions

/rustc/a55dd71d5fb0ec5a6a3a9e8c27b2127ba491ce52/library/core/src/convert/mod.rs:550

Backtrace omitted. Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 environment variable to display it.
Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=full to include source snippets., kind: Deserialization, revision: None }}: embassy::context::diagnostic: Error: Deserialization Error: missing field os-partitions: Starting diagnostic UI
2022-12-17T19:52:25.814844Z DEBUG inner_main{cfg_path=None}:init{disk_guid=None error=Error { source:

/rustc/a55dd71d5fb0ec5a6a3a9e8c27b2127ba491ce52/library/core/src/convert/mod.rs:550

Backtrace omitted. Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 environment variable to display it.
Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=full to include source snippets., kind: Deserialization, revision: None }}: embassy::context::diagnostic: Error { source:

Run with RUST_BACKTRACE=full to include source snippets., kind: Deserialization, revision: None }
AvahiCallback: ClientState = AVAHI_CLIENT_S_RUNNING
AvahiCallback: EntryGroupState = AVAHI_ENTRY_GROUP_UNCOMMITED
Published “debian.local”

Can anybody help with this issue?

Hi there k3v1n, welcome!

Are you certain you cannot use legacy boot? This option can be found in the BIOS, and would likely solve your issue.

Hi, I am 100% sure. Because on the Intel website is it mentioned: Check this link.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057401/intel-nuc.html

Hi again,
I found this request in change log Disable EFI

It means, that EFI boot was allowed, but it was manually disabled. So, my question: is there any possibility how to enable EFI boot.

I would really appreciate that, because I find your product very good.

To clarify, the disabling of EFI boot was done because it had problems. We are able to fix this and add the feature, it was just determined to not be worth the bandwidth in the lead-up to the v0.3.3 release. A ticket has been cut that you can track here: [feat]: Support EFI Boot Media · Issue #2080 · Start9Labs/embassy-os · GitHub

Feel free to comment here or on that ticket with any further questions, comments, or suggestions. Thank you for your report, the feedback is very valuable to us :slight_smile:

Hello,

Is there any way I could attach a bounty to this issue. I just purchased a mini-PC and I think I’m running into the same issue. Legacy boot is not an option to select in the BIOS. I can see the 2TB SSD i installed and was able to flash embassyOS on to it, but I can’t boot from it.

I don’t know enough about Debian to install like the OP mentioned. Sounds like that avenue didn’t work either anyways.

I’m trying to get resolved quickly before my return window closes for the Mini-PC.

Thanks,

Knit

Hi there Knit,

You are welcome to make a “good-faith” bounty offer in any of our public channels and hope for the best, but I think it is more likely that we would finish it before anyone else. The priority has been moved up in part due to user demand and in part due to needing the feature for R&D on new hardware options. There is no ETA at this time.

Hi s9d, I’m in the same situation. I’d like to toss my oar in the water and vote for UEFI support! Thanks for all the good work. Can’t wait to get embassyOS on my miniPC! Cheers!

I’m happy to report that we are working on EFI builds and testing them now. There is still no ETA on this, but you can expect that is on the way “soon.”

EFI is now supported, let us know if you have any further issues