How to deactivate kiosk mode, remove firefox, xorg?

Friendly greetings.

I’m running StartOS 0.3.4~4 on an Acer Swift1 Laptop.

CPU is just an Intel Pentium Silver N5000 and I’ve got only 8GB of RAM (more like 7.5 due to the iGPU),
so I was wondering how to deactivate the kiosk mode and get rid of firefox and maybe xorg too.

Every CPU-cycle counts and we can’t ever have enough RAM, so why waste it on stuff I don’t need anyway, when I’m managing everything remotely?

I’m not really a pro when it comes to linux though,
can anyone help me out, pretty please?
I would really appreciate that.

Thanks in advance.

BCM2711 vs Intel Pentium Silver N5000 @ 1.10GHz [cpubenchmark.net] by PassMark Software Your chip is faster than the raspi, so you should be alright

Well, yeah, I did exactly that, flashed StartOS directly on the laptops NVMe drive.
And I already posted it in to the list of known-Good Hardware, too.

The thing is, I’m not using the laptop as a laptop, but headless.
It’s not that the hardware can’t handle it,
it’s more about running tasks and processes that I NEVER need,
while other task and processes, those that I actually use, are sometimes fighting for resources.

Why waste a couple of hundred MB of RAM on firefox, when I never use it?

I get you now. I checked with senior tech and he said kiosk removal is not supported. I think he might reply further. So it is probably possible, but you are doing it at your own risk

If it’s not possible, or to much of a hassle, I guess I’ll have to deal with it.

Are you saying that you are using headless mode and Firefox is definitely running? On our supported hardware, this is not the expected result - Firefox should ONLY run in kiosk mode. If this is not the case on your specific hardware, we would need to investigate further. As you can imagine, it is impossible for us to support all possible hardware. This is your device and you are welcome to attempt to kill/remove the software, but be aware that it is at your own risk, and we do not recommend or support that action, which could have unintended consequences. I’ll open an issue to investigate, but please understand that this would be a low priority.

Yeah, the point is that it is running in kiosk mode.

I think l read somewhere that there was a choice in the installation process to use kiosk mode or not, but when I installed it, that option either wasn’t there, or I was just too blind to see it, so it came up that way.

I already tried to kill firefox, but it immediately started back up again
and before I break something I just stopped trying.

Guess I’ll just keep it that way then. I’ll survive.
Thanks anyway.

StartOS would detect if you have a monitor attached and that is when Kiosk mode / Firefox would launch. Do you have a monitor attached? If not, you should be in headless mode.

Well, yeah, it’s a laptop., so there iks a monitor attached.

That probably explains it. Can you run the device with the lid closed? You can check in the BIOS, or search online. Otherwise, the display coming on is going to trigger Kiosk mode.

While installing?
Not sure if I want to reinstall now, just to try. Already got pretty much everything up and running that I want and it’s working quite good as is.

Maybe next time.

No, you can make BIOS changes at any time. You’ll need to search around for how to do this for your device.

1 Like