How to format backup drive?

I am setting up a backup drive (4TB ADATA) for my Server Pure. The Start9 manual recommends formatting the drive to EXT4.
My PC’s Disk Management can format to NTFS, will that work? Or will I need to use a 3rd party tool to format to EXT4?
If so, can I trust a 3rd party tool, since I will have a Lightening node on the server?

SJW

It can be problematic to format a disk to EXT4 in both Windows and Mac OS. Since we’re recommending this more often, I’d like to create a guide for each (the alternative is ExFat, but with a couple of services you might run into problems).

For Windows, you’d likely need 3rd party software such as…

• MiniTool Partition Wizard
  • EaseUS Partition Master
  • AOMEI Partition Assistant
1 Like

Thank you StuPleb.
I’m just wondering about the security of using a 3rd party free tool. What are your thoughts?

If you want to stick to open source. You can flash Ubuntu on a USB stick that will be bootable. You can then boot from the USB stick and access ubuntu disk utilities to format drives to ext4

2 Likes

Thank you Rick. Ironically I had Ubuntu on my server and needed help removing it. Wish I had known then before getting rid of it…

It’s pretty easy to flash it onto a thumb drive. I always have a couple of drives laying around with ubuntu on them. It comes in handy

1 Like

Thanks Rick
I’m inexperienced and really couldn’t figure out how to use Ubuntu.
I guess I’ll try the minitool

1 Like