[Known-Good Hardware Master List] Hardware Capable of Running StartOS

Embassy OS 0.3.3 working fine on Intel NUC10 ( i5-10210U, 8GB RAM, upgraded SSD to 1T).
(Note that it doesn’t work on Intel NUC11 as NUC10 was the last version with BIOS allowing Legacy Boot)

1 Like

Embassy OS 0.3.3 stretched but working also on Dell Micro Inspiron 3050 with only 2GB RAM (upgraded SSD from a minuscule 32G (!) to 1T.

(That makes it my 6th node, that will probably be enough shortly :smile: )

3 Likes

EmbassyOS 0.3.3 running smoothly on Alienware Alpha R2, I had lying around.

1 Like

Having a similar issue on a Lenovo thinkpad , the installation went well , but fonts are small , is there a way to increase the font size, would that be done in the os or in the bios

Successful installation on a Lenovo thinkpad t550 8gb/2tb , i7 processor, Question is Will the embassy os continue to still run if the laptop’s lid is closed. If not how can this be accomplished

2 Likes

Successful installation on a Morefine M6 mini PC.
To boot need to add a kernel parameter:

I915.force_probe=4e61
1 Like

As you can imagine, it would be impossible for us to support all hardware, so you will be on your own for figuring out how to keep your device from sleeping with the lid closed. You may have to put some sort of instructions into a /media/embassy/config/postinit.sh script. Feel free to open a new post with your findings.

1 Like

I was able to install on a Dell OptiPlex 7050 i5-6600T Micro with 8GB RAM.

I bought it off ebay and it didn’t come with a hard drive. There are so many variations of micro/mini PCs that are resold on ebay which meet the minimum CPU/RAM recommendation. Just hard to find one with a large enough drive for the blockchain. Would recommend buying that separately. Ended up getting a WD Blue 1TB SSD. Setup is working nicely!

Also don’t forget to check BIOs firmware when setting up. Mine was grossly outdated.

1 Like

Minisforum DeskMini UM350 working great. After an update to 2TB NVMe and 32GB RAM, synced bitcoin in 13 hours 18 minutes, with bfindex and txindex and 16GB dbcache. Graphics drivers are not supported in PureOS, so no kiosk mode, so need to set up via LAN. Had a weird ghost issue where the ethernet adapter appeared to break, then started working again after a power outage (router restart?) Other than that I’m extremely happy with it.

1 Like

Just got EmbassyOS 0.3.4 up and running on a Morefine M600. Thanks for adding EFI support!

1 Like

Howdy, I’m trying to do something similar. I’ve got six drives and would like to do a similar setup. I have BIOS RAID 10, so I think I will end up using trying to use that. For my trial run, eOS didn’t recognize the RAID config. I’ve never used RAID before, I assume it would just pop up as a single drive to the OS when working properly?
So here is my question, when you said that you installed eOS on separate 128 GB drive, was that outside of the RAID config? Do you mean that you download eOS on one drive and then used a RAID config as “external storage” for nextcloud, files, and such?
My ideal setup would be to have eOS installed on the actual RAID array. Does anybody know how to do this? From my research, hardware should work. However, wouldn’t a built in RAID software of the BIOS be considered hardware, or should I get a raid controller?

I’m running a Late 2012 Mac Mini A1347 with the same upgrade specs (16GB/2TB) and the network goes offline about every 3-4 days, forcing a reboot. I can login to the server if I attach display, kb, mouse, but it says No Internet and all service states show as Unknown. Start9 George walked me through a ton of tests and non-free driver installs via SSH, but in the end we were not able to find a solution. It could be a fluke of my system, but I thought it was worth reporting. Other than that it seems to work flawlessly.

Software RAID of any kind is not supported yet. I also tried the intel bios raid and it didnt work because its similar to a linux software raid. this raid volumes are not recogniced by the eOS installation process.
Even with a RAID controller you would need to buy a “good” one for about 300 to 500 bucks and first learn how to deal with the issue of a dying raid controller! my cheap raid controller died after 1 mounth and i didnt know how to export the setup and didnt want to use a cheap controller again. even with your bios raid you would have to try to swap it to a new mainboard and see if its recognised! After all i ended up with a normal setup, only the eOS is on a small ssd and storage with blockchain is on a secound drive because it asks again for the drive after eOS installation. i think the best would be if during the eOS installation the software looks for other general mount point and not only sda, sdb etc.
just my general thoughts

Well that is unfortunate. Now I don’t know what I am supposed to do with all of my HDD’s that I’ve got laying around. (didn’t buy them for this project, just got them for free). I guess we will have to wait for more support to be added unless we want to go do the ultimate, over-kill server build (which I would love to, just . . . . you know. . . . $$$).

A suggestion for Start9 then. In addition to the hive redundancy idea (where embassys back each other up over the network) we could also add support for software RAID. We could do it the way you suggest, however, what would be epic is if it was more supported and backed into the OS. What if embassy allowed you to set up a RAID config when you are installing it! In the installation process it could ask you if you want to set up a software RAID config, then you could select what configuration and what drives to use. I believe Unraid OS does this. That would be awesome if embassy had this!!!

We will eventually have this and many other features. Keep in mind this project is still in beta and will be until later this year. We will be adding more storage features this year, but in the meantime, you can always install eOS on top of something like Proxmox or TrueNAS for more flexibility.

Great! I’m looking forward to it down the road. And the fact that this is only in beta is impressive. Most other solutions aren’t this good in their normal release.

Also, this is the first time I’ve looked into TrueNAS. Why the heck haven’t I been messing around with it sooner! It is so cool! Wish I would have looked into it sooner.

I’m running on a 2015 MacBook Air with a 1TB SSD installed. It would be great to be able to use the built-in wifi adapter. If not the built it, it would be great to use an aftermarket wifi adapter.

1 Like

I’ve successfully installed embassy OS on a nitroPC from nitrokey

IMO it’s a good option for EU residents who are looking for an option with Intel management engine mitigation, since it’s based in Germany, hence one does not have to worry about the hefty customs taxes.

And you can also pay with bitcoin :wink:

3 Likes

Update on enabling wifi on the MacBook Air.
I bought Penguin 802.11 B/G/N Wireless N USB Adapter for GNU / Linux (TPE-N150USB) but did not have luck with the system finding it automatically. Will this work with extra configuration? It should work with PureOS.

According to their product page, “Debian 7, 8, 9, 10, & 11 require the installation of firmware. 11 has free firmware in the repository. Just apt install firmware-ath9k-htc.” PureOS is based on debian.

Assuming you currently have ethernet connectivity, you could have the OS install it by sshing in and running these commands in succession:

sudo /usr/lib/embassy/scripts/chroot-and-upgrade
apt update
apt install firmware-ath9k-htc
exit
1 Like