[Known-Good Hardware Master List] Hardware Capable of Running StartOS

Hello.

Could you tell me how can I find a raid card compatible with the minipc recommended (Start9 Refurbished - HP EliteDesk 800 G3 | Start9 Store) or what hardware should I buy?

Thank you

Have you found a way for using those HDD on a minipc?

RAID is not supported on StartOS (yet).
But no need for a raid card: your best bet if you want that any time soon is to run a VM system like proxmox that lets you manually construct volumes and mdadm raid or zraid or btrfs raid them. Then you’d create a VM of StartOS on top of the raid.

Here’s a guide that you could roughly follow:

1 Like

Thank you George. I’m following that guide. My problem now is with the hardware. I was looking at the minipc recommended but I have 4 HDD that I would like to use for storage a long with a sdd for the OS. Even with proxmox I think I cannot do that on the minipc so I need to find another hardware
Could you guide me here?

Here are a bunch of tower and mini tower cases:
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007583

Perhaps look through there and narrow your search results on the left for the appropriate number of drive bays that you need, then sort according to price or any other way you like.

If that doesn’t work, maybe go into a local computer shop and get the clerk to help you find a unit that will work with your drive needs.

1 Like

Keep in mind that we highly recommend against HDDs because your software is running on the drive(s), and you will get a serious performance degradation by using HDDs. You may prefer to wait for us to expand storage options later this year.

1 Like

Successfully installed on Dell Optiplex 7040 Micro, 16GB RAM, Intel(R) Core™ i7-6700T CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz, VirtualBox running on Windows 11 Pro. Small HDD, will be upgrading to larger SSD. Just tried this to see if I could figure it out.

Successfully installed StartOS on Lenovo ThinkCentre M710t with Intel i7, 16GB ram and 2tb ssd.

1 Like

Same here pretty much… Successful Install!! STARTOS v0.3.5~1

Dell Optiplex 3050 Micro PC
Core i5 6th Gen
8GB RAM
2TB NVMe

Total hardware cost ~$200. Nice and easy install. Only thing was getting my other machine to trust the CA (how important that really is I don’t know), but i just bypassed the warning and it seems to work fine.

Thanks

1 Like

You definitely want to trust the Root CA - this establishes an encrypted connection, and is required for full use of your server.

I have tried this as well but my start9 instance kept restarting and always wanted to repeat the installation as the storage somehow wasn’t accepted on my UTM…

Thanks for your reply. I followed the instructions to trust the Root CA and when I go to the .local url it says ‘Root CA Trusted!’, but in the search bar it says ‘Not secure’, and if I continue to login, as prompted, then ‘Not secure’ is in red… Not sure how to solve this. Tried it on PC and also on laptop, both connected to the same network in the LAN, laptop by wifi, PC by ethernet. Was wondering if it is possible to just connect locally with http only… If not I am a bit stuck. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Okay I sorted it! (Woooohooooooooo!!!)
In firefox:- in settings - privacy and security - view certificates - Authorities - Import (tick all trust boxes).
In Brave:- in settings - privacy and security - security - manage certificates - Authorities - Import (then tick all boxes)

It sounds like you might have flashed the drive directly, is this the case? If so, you need to flash a USB drive (or equivalent) and use that to install TO your internal drive.

I have got Start9 running smoothly on an HP Elitebook 840 g3 (i5/16gb). I swapped the SSD for a 2tb NVMe 3rd gen. Bitcoin Core took. just over 1.5 days to sync. I browsed through the forum, doing my best to learn. When I came across the post above by @SpiralCrunch, I realized the CPU was running at 50-55% with the lid closed… After using the linked script, CPU usage is 6-10%.

The only thing that appears off is that the system time is wrong in the monitor section.

That might be due to StartOS being configured to be in the UTC timezone. I don’t think there is an easy built-in way to configure this. It’s perfectly fine though, afaik it’s recommended to run servers in UTC timezone anyway.

Agreed, GMT+0 it is the system default, which equates to UTC as @remcoros mentioned. @Meesh are you seeing a different time zone under System Time?

I see GMT+0. I guess that means all is good. I am new to linux, servers, scripts–all of this. I thought it would display the local timezone. Thank you for the input @remcoros /@Jeremy .

Hi, I have successfully installed StartOS on a GMKtec Nucbox G3 with an Intel N100 CPU, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB NVMe SSD and 256 GB Sata SSD (for backups).

The Bitcoin blockchain sync took 18 hours.

For now I am very satisfied with StartOS and the performance of the device.

Successfully installed StartOS on a Dell Optiplex Micro 7010.