[Known-Good Hardware Master List] Hardware Capable of Running StartOS

If I want to install a Bitcoin node + a Lightning network node on a mini PC to combine with a 2 tera SSD, can you suggest which components to buy?
I’ve read all the posts, but I’m very undecided and I don’t want to make mistakes
Thank you

At the very top of this list there are some specific models that you could purchase.

Hi there,
i came across your post and i was wondering the following. I just bought a 800 G2 mini and i saw that you had StartOS running on it. Do you have 1 central HD or do you have 2 HD’s, one for StartOS and 1 for running your node?

Just some general info that I hope is helpful:

StartOS currently supports only two drives. One for the OS, and a second drive for everything else. Additional drives are detected by the backup system that can be selected for that purpose. There is very little benefit to using two drives. StartOS is very small, so most of that drive would be wasted. If you’re thinking small SSD + large HDD, generally not a good idea. I personally have one of my machines setup this way, and it a bit of an exercise in frustration. The HDD simply doesn’t have the IO speed necessary to effectively run the Bitcoin stack. Everything is always waiting on that drive. I get a lot of time-out errors, and things often just won’t load. The best option in your StartOS server, is a single large NVME drive. I’d recommend 2TB min, and 4TB is you can afford the cost.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply and taking the time doing so. I was first thinking of a 2 SSD setup. One NVME for the OS en one SATAIII SSD for running a node. But since you said that the SSD for the OS is a waste of space and money, i think i go for a 2TB SATA III SSD. That should do the trick. Thanks!

Beelink 12pro, N100, 16gb ram, swapped the internal NVME for a 2TB one. Runs everything smooth but the Wi-Fi card, which I read it’s something about the Linux kernel that had to be updated. But I don’t plan using Wi-Fi here, so just let it be…Small, cheap, low consumption, excellent choice to be alway on…

3 Likes

Hey Andy!

Welcome to our community!

Looks like you’ve got a solid machine. It’s powerful enough to keep you sovereign for a long time. And don’t worry about Wi-Fi for servers—it’s being phased out in the next release.

Installed and running StartOS 0.3.5~1 on:

NUC 13
Case: ASUS NUC ultra Small Form Factor Case i7 (NUC13ANKi7)
CPU: Intel Core i7 12-Core Processor
Motherboard: Intel NUC 13 Ultra Small Form Factor
Memory: 32 GB Corsair 3200MHz SODIMM DDR4
Graphics Card: Integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics
SSD: 4 TB Corsair MP600 Pro

Followed Start9 Docs and BTC Sessions video for a straightforward setup. Thanks to the Start9 team.

4 Likes

Running startOS on beelink mini pc, upgraded to samsung 2tb ssd

2 Likes

Thanks for this, I couldn’t seem to find a simple way to do this before.

Question:
I have used Rpi’s for years, currently have 7 running as servers or gateways etc, familiar with Linux as a user. One of my Pi servers is a Start9 with a M.2 drive in an Argon case. It is neat but has stopped twice. Once it was the SD card, I wrote the image again and it recovered and used the M.2 drive and started the BTC Node service OK. The next time it stopped it gave a database error when entering login creds but it did restart OK.
I have a spare mini PC, Dell OptiXX Intel Corei5 7th Gen with 8GB RAM and with just Windows 10 on a 250GB SSD. If I was to install Proxmox on this Intel machine will I be able to add a Start9 instance and recover the server using the M.2 drive from my Pi?

I feel the Dell/Intel machine may be more stable and it has a M.2 slot on the motherboard but I have never tried to move a drive from one machine to an other like this? I would like to think I could just mount the drive within the Start9 VM on proxmox?

Dream or possible? What do you think?

Thx, Garry

** I see this guide : Start9 | Transfer Data to a New Drive

This suggests it it is the way to preserve my data across a platform swap. If I am creating a Start9 instance on Proxmox (in an Intel PC) this will be linux >> linux or does the physical hardware of the Intel machine mean different platform? How virtual or real is the Proxmox virtual macine?

Thx, Garry

@GryKyo I don’t believe any Argon case provisions extra power to an external SSD, does it?

That’s often the issue when it comes to write errors and file corruption on an external disk on a Pi.

On top of this, with Bitcoin’s UTXO set expanded beyond 8GB, you’ll be thrashing that external disk extra hard every 10 minutes to the point of risking problems.

This is why we’re saying a Pi is no longer capable of running a Bitcoin stack and telling people not to do it. Maybe for just a little while longer it might be possible to run Bitcoin on 8GB so long as you have a processor several times faster than a Pi, and a SSD connected on a bus that’s faster (not USB)… but even that will see its day come with another round of ordinals or stamps or whatever will come next.

The Dell you mention might fit into that category, but it will still struggle. Adding Proxmox into the mix will eat into that small amount of RAM.

You call the Dell an “Intel” machine a couple of times… is this because you believe you’ll need something to emulate an ARM chip?

There’s an x86 version of Start9 you could install on the Dell directly, installing just the OS onto that 250GB SSD. But you’d be stuck with a data drive with ARM versions of the services.

However, if you had another spare drive, you could follow this transfer process and transfer the Pi disk data onto the new drive you’d insert into the Dell. This would rebuild all the containers for x86.

Hi, I installed StartOS on a lenovo thinkcentre M715q tiny and I’m currently running bitcoin core, electrs and the mempool services all sync with no issues. I’m planning on installing jellyfin and nextcloud next.
Processor: AMD PRO A6-8570E
Memory: 8GB DDR4
Drive: 2TB SATA SSD

1 Like

Running StartOS on Minisforum UM780XTX
Processor: AMD 7840HS
Memory: 96 GB
Drive: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD NVMe M.2 *2

1 Like

Hi. What format is the drive?
I am stuck trying to set up the os on a 7010 with on ssd for the system and services and an hhd for data. SSH alone boot fine into the initial set up. If I add the hhd, the booting get stuck for a while then I get a bunch of errors.

Please create a new topic in the DIY forum for the issue with the 7010.

Hello, I am successfully running StartOS on a T9 Mini PC
CPU Intel N100
RAM 16 Gb
SSD 2 TB (2242)

3 Likes

Hi Plebs,

Running StartOS on Beelink SER8 Mini PC
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 8845HS
Memory: 32 GB DDR5
Drive: SSD Predator GM7000 4TB M.2 NVME GEN4

and

Intel NUC 11
Processor: Core i7-1165G7
Memory: 32GB DDR4 RAM
Drive: 2TB NVMe SSD Kingstone

2 Likes

Successful non-free install on an HP ENVY Desktop - TE01-1022

Was getting a ‘no wifi instance’ error until I updated the BIOS to F.50

Wish I’d read this thread first :blush:

1 Like

Start9 fully installed and successfully running the following:

• Bitcoin Core
  • Electrs
  • Mempool
  • LND
  • ThunderHub
  • Lightning Terminal

The hardware is as follows:

• Trigkey Green G4 Mini PC
  • Intel 11th Gen N100 3.4Ghz 4 Core Processor
  • 16Gb DDR4 SO-DIMM RAM
  • 2TB Crucial MX500 NAND SATA SSD (fitted as additional drive, but BIOS configured to use it as the main boot drive).

Everything has been running fine so far.

3 Likes