[Known-Good Hardware Master List] Hardware Capable of Running StartOS

I’ve successfully installed embassy OS on a nitroPC from nitrokey

IMO it’s a good option for EU residents who are looking for an option with Intel management engine mitigation, since it’s based in Germany, hence one does not have to worry about the hefty customs taxes.

And you can also pay with bitcoin :wink:

3 Likes

Update on enabling wifi on the MacBook Air.
I bought Penguin 802.11 B/G/N Wireless N USB Adapter for GNU / Linux (TPE-N150USB) but did not have luck with the system finding it automatically. Will this work with extra configuration? It should work with PureOS.

According to their product page, “Debian 7, 8, 9, 10, & 11 require the installation of firmware. 11 has free firmware in the repository. Just apt install firmware-ath9k-htc.” PureOS is based on debian.

Assuming you currently have ethernet connectivity, you could have the OS install it by sshing in and running these commands in succession:

sudo /usr/lib/embassy/scripts/chroot-and-upgrade
apt update
apt install firmware-ath9k-htc
exit
1 Like

Quick update, the laptop has been running nonstop with 100% uptime.

Coming up to 6 months now.

I’m really surprised seeing all the messing around I have been doing with it.

2 Likes

start9

Read more about setting up ssh here:
https://docs.start9.com/latest/user-manual/ssh

This might help.

1 Like

Working on my…

Acer:

• Aspire
    • 5742 PEW71
1 Like

Hp ProDesk 400 G5 i5-8500T,

16gb RAM, 2 TB m.2.
Direct install on bare iron.

Works fine :
Sync BTC ledger under 13 hours. No isues with USB or network.

1 Like

StarOS 0.3.4~2 working on:
HP ProDesk 600 G1 Mini
Did remove wifi card before installation, 8GB RAM, 2TB SSD, external USB SSD for backups. Been way more stable than the Raspberry Pi I had used previously.

1 Like

I think we can confidently remove Mac Mini (A1347, late 2012) from the known-good list.

Significant intermittent networking issues. Also experienced by: @Yarrow @George

MinisForum DeskMini UM450 looks awesome so far though. I only got that over the UM350 because it was refurbed and much cheaper.

What exactly are these intermittent networking issues? I don’t think I ever saw actual error messages, and I’m not sure why a network card/drivers would work but only intermittently. Seems it should either work or not or something else may be involved.

Used x86_64-nonfree.iso on the following:

Dell Optiplex 9020 Ultra Small FF (Intel Core i5-4570T, 16GB Ram, 1000GB(1TB) Solid State SSD

Success! In getting Marketplace up and Bitcoin Core is downloading:) Pritty stoked.

1 Like

Greenart: Can you explain how to add this parameter? I’m having problems in my own diy build with my mini pc booting and I wonder if this is a common issue?

I successfully installed it and will start playing with it on an Amazon special: TRIGKEY AMD Ryzen 7 Mini PC, 5800H 8Core S5 32GB | 1TB! I had to swap back to EUFI boot vs. legacy.

Basically the connection would go down, then come back, then go down. Kernel logs would show this. It’s almost like what would happen with a faulty cable when wiggling it. Really strange.

Hello all,

I just wanted to share that I could install and run startOS in the minisforum EliteMini HM90, I bought the barebone version and got the memory and storage on my own.

The details are:

AMD Ryzen ™ 9 4900H, 8 Cores/16 Threads
64GB(32GB x 2) of DDR4
M.2 2280 256/512GB PCIe 3.0 SSD
2.5 inch SATA SSD Slot x 2 (RAID 1)
Proxmox (hypervisor type 1)

I am assigning 16G RAM to the lightning node StartOS. I will be posting a video walkthrough installation of the system soon and share it soon in my channel

I hope this helps,

7 Likes

Hey guys.

I have successfully installed Start9OS on HPE ML350 GEN9 2630 but I am having one issue.
The server has 2 volumes one small (SSD) one big for storage. I installed the OS onto the SSD and now cannot see the other volume. Is this expected? Any way for me to mount it and use it?

1 Like

Running the latest StartOS version successfully on Proxmox 8 on a Dell Optiplex 3070
32gb in host, 8gb ram in vm.
4 cores assigned - i5 9500t

Biggest troubleshooting issue was the Realtek NIC driver and PVE8. Updating driver repos with non-free firmware fixed it.

Followed the guide to setup backup server over network to a zfs pool SMB share inside another VM /w TrueNAS. Worked great!

1 Like