[Known-Good Hardware Master List] Hardware Capable of Running StartOS

Running StartOS on Mac M1/M2 Can be done using UTM VM

Successful install of StartOS 0.3.4.4 (kiosk mode) on a PC ATX Asus Z97-E motherboard and 2TB M.2 Nvme single disk.

I installed Nextcloud and was eventually able to access it over my LAN after figuring out how to connect to it by using the router DHCP address so that I could download the cert onto a Windows machine where I could trust it.

Needless to say, the doc could use some tweaks, IMHO. :slight_smile: https://start.local never worked even after installing Bonjour. After I trusted the cert, the address https://encoded-talon.local did work, where encoded-talon.crt was the name of the cert file (and internal cert name) that I trusted. I kept a list of all the places where I got stuck, in case it might help the doc effort.

Anyhow, the server and Nextcloud are up and running. I sent out some invitations to friends to try to use it with the onion addresses that they have never seen, just to see if the server is visible outside my LAN. Credit to the StartOS guys for creating a completely different sysadmin experience than the ones I was used to for 20 years in the past.

1 Like

Did you try start.local with http instead of https by chance? It definitely works in all our tested cases, so I’d like to know what you did that was unique - we may need to open a new discussion for this.

Hi Dave, thank you for your gentle way of asking delicate questions (“Did you… by chance?”). I wish my boss was as good as you. :slight_smile: I tried start.local with three strings in the browser address bar:

1. “start.local”,
  2. http://start.local”, and
    3), “https://start.local”.

I tried all of them several times, but all of them failed. The trusted cert worked the first time, once I figured out that I had to type the cert name into the browser bar. (IMHO, the doc could be improved a bit by including a specific example of this.)

Okay, please start a new thread in troubleshooting, or come into one of our Community Channels. If you are definitely on the same network, then it sounds like you have a problem with your network resolving mDNS.

As soon as you said ‘mDNS’ I thought of Bonjour (the doc says Bonjour overcomes the mDNS lack on Windows). But I just tried ‘start.local’ again (with Bonjour and the .local address working), and start.local failed in Edge and Brave. Not a problem for me now, since I just use the cert address encoded-talon.local to reach the StartOS server.

start.local is ONLY available for setup (or diagnostic mode if there is a problem). It no longer exists once you have completed setup. You now only access via your unique .local. Please open a new thread if you need to continue this discussion as it is off-topic here.

Thank you. It is true that I tried start.local during the setup phase. I can’t remember if I had trusted the root cert by that point in time. But when start.local failed, I just continued on and was able to connect after I trusted the root cert.

Thanks for that ….I am interested in the pros and cons, if any, of running start OS as a virtual machine…curious what the start 9 team think…… I have an embassy pro running with multiple services…and plan to divide the services between 2 or more servers to mitigate any risks of viruses/hacking etc if that makes sense

Biggest reason to do this is for storage flexibility, which could also be handled by a low-level RAID setup and running StartOS on the metal.

I have the same system but i thought the largest HD it supports is 500 GB. How did you manage to get 2 TB?

Hi

Succesfully running 0.3.4 on Lenovo Thinkcentre M920q - I5 8th gen - 16GB - 256+500 SSD.
Starting with Vaultwarden and Nextcloud.

1 Like

Installed on an old MSI GP72 laptop, not sure all the specs but can pull from here Specification GP72 2QE Leopard Pro | MSI Global - The Leading Brand in High-end Gaming & Professional Creation. Uses 34W which is not special.

Successfully installed on a DIY ‘Cubit’ Nabi Technology

Motherboard: - [ODROID-H3] hardkernel.com

• Intel® Quad-Core Processor Jasper Lake N5105 has a base clock of 2GHz and a boost clock of 2.9GHz with 1.5 MB L2 and 4 MB L3 cache by a 10 nm process.
  • Up to 64GB Dual-channel Memory DDR4 PC4-23400 (2933MT/s)
  • Two SO-DIMM slots, up to 32GB per slot
  • PCIe 3.0 x 4 lanes for one M.2 NVMe storage
  • 2 x 2.5Gbit Ethernet ports
  • 2 x SATA 3.0 ports
  • SSE4.2 accelerator (SMM, FPU, NX, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AES)
  • Intel UHD Graphics 24 EUs Turbo 800MHz(H3+:900MHz)
  • HDMI 2.0 and DP 1.2 multiple video outputs
  • A configurable Unlimited Performance mode allowing the CPU to run in sustained turbo boost mode.
  • RTC / BIOS backup battery is included

RAM: - Samsung 32GB DDR4 PC4-25600 SO-DIMM

1 x Crucial P3 Plus 2TB CT2000P3PSSD8 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD

2 x Crucial MX500 1TB 3D 6Gbps 2.5in SSD 560MB/s 510MB/s NAND SATA SSD - CT1000MX500SSD1

Blockchain synced in about 40hrs

I use a Lenovo ThinkCentre m93p. Recently, probably after an upgrade, it wont stay awake any more, it sleep all the time. Does anyone know the trick, on a Lenovo, to get it to stay awake?

Is there information anywhere, for how to enable “always on” for various machines?

Can you enter your BIOS with F1 or F2 after hitting the power button? If you can get to the BIOS Look for power management settings in the BIOS and adjust them accordingly. Be cautious when changing BIOS settings, as incorrect configurations can affect system stability.

If Rick’s suggestion does not work, please start a new topic for better issue tracking

2017 iMac with Intel and Fusion drive working great.

• 2017 iMac Intel Quad Core i5 3.8GHz
  • 8GB RAM
  • Fusion drive
  • Wifi worked

More info about the Fusion drive success here: StartOS working on iMac with Fusion Drive

1 Like

Successful install

New ASUS PN41-S1 Mini Desktop Computer (Barebone)
1x 8GB Ram
1x Crucial P3 4TB PCIe Gen3 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD
Not using wifi, but it works, antenna seems weak.