Mobile Navigation / Maps

In my continued de-Googling effort, I was curious about what options StartOS might have in the way of self-hosting map data such as OpenStreetMap (OSM) or similar, with the end goal of being to tap into it when on the go for navigation while driving, walking, etc or just to look up directions when on my computer. I saw that Nextcloud has a Maps app that does just that, so I enabled it on my Nextcloud server (was disabled by default), but I’m not really sure how to make use of it from there. First of all, it appears that a routing engine needs configured to be able to get directions. Not finding much help on getting that setup. Also, is there a mobile app that can connect to the server? If not, are there any other options other than Nextcloud/OSM?

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

We are still early days, but I would expect that Nextcloud Maps (which makes use of OSM data) will eventually be as good as the navigation we use today. Currently, I like OSMand or Organic Maps for mobile navigation. Maps can be downloaded for offline use, which I find especially helpful, especially when traveling. You can also use this if you prefer not to use SIMs/mobile data. Will be fun to check back on this thread in a year or two and see where we are at :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply @start9dave!

Do you know of any helpful info for getting the routing settings configured?

I have not played with this. Please let us know what you find, and feel free to open a feature request on the Nextcloud wrapper repo if something is needed on our end.

I was able to get the navigation part working by checking the box shown below.

Otherwise, I found very little in the way of getting the OSRM setup. I did come across the project’s GitHub page (GitHub - Project-OSRM/osrm-backend: Open Source Routing Machine - C++ backend). I’m not a developer, so most of it is above my head, but I’m thinking that the OSRM backend would need to be hosted on StartOS for Nextcloud to be able to interact with it.

I think you are correct. I have added an entry on StartOS.fans. This would be a great addition. I’ll keep an eye on their development as well.