My Sparrow Wallet pass "Test connection" but get the error "Failed to subscribe to paths"

Hello all,

I use Sparrow Wallet to connect my EmbassyOS (Run on Raspberry Pi). It is all green and running without a problem.

I connect my Sparrow Wallet via TOR and when I press “Test Connection” it also pass that.
Connected to electrs/0.9.13 on protocol version 1.4
Batched RPC enabled.
Server Banner: Welcome to electrs 0.9.13 (Electrum Rust Server)!

All the documentation I can find end this point. But when I open my wallet from Sparrow and try to connect the Node I recieve the following messages:

[May 24 11:04:07] Finding transactions for […/0/0-…/0/34]
[May 24 11:04:39] Failed to subscribe to paths: […/0/0-…/0/34]

I try to google it and foudn the same problem mentioned on a Sparrow Support page. But they said it is EmbassyOS side problem not Sparrow side. So here I am. Any helps or comments are welcome. I’m a noob ın the world of Bitcoin world. Tried another solution before which worked until it stopped working. And here I feel like if I can make it work for once it will be more robust.

Regards,

It sounds to me like you have a good connection to your server. Is there anything wrong in the electrs logs? What about in the Sparrow logs?

I checked them but it was making no sense for me… It seems there is no problem on the electrs side but here were some errors on the Sparrow side?

I don’t know if it make sense because as I said they said it is a Sparrow side problem from Sparrow Support. So anyway… I guess I’m so used to this kind of things doesn’t work for me it is not even frustrating anymore :slight_smile:

Sparrow Log:
2023-05-30 16:50:52,135 ERROR [JavaFX Application Thread] c.s.s.w.WalletForm [null:-1] Error retrieving wallet history
com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.ServerException: Failed to subscribe to paths: [m/0/0-m/0/35]
at com.sparrowwallet.sparrow@1.7.4/com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.ElectrumServer.subscribeWalletNodes(Unknown Source)
at com.sparrowwallet.sparrow@1.7.4/com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.ElectrumServer.getHistory(Unknown Source)
at com.sparrowwallet.sparrow@1.7.4/com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.ElectrumServer.getHistory(Unknown Source)
at com.sparrowwallet.sparrow@1.7.4/com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.ElectrumServer$TransactionHistoryService.getTransactionHistory(Unknown Source)
at com.sparrowwallet.sparrow@1.7.4/com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.ElectrumServer$TransactionHistoryService$1.call(Unknown Source)
at com.sparrowwallet.sparrow@1.7.4/com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.ElectrumServer$TransactionHistoryService$1.call(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics@18/javafx.concurrent.Task$TaskCallable.call(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics@18/javafx.concurrent.Service.lambda$executeTask$6(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics@18/javafx.concurrent.Service.lambda$executeTask$7(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.ServerException: Retries exhausted
at com.sparrowwallet.sparrow@1.7.4/com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.RetryLogic.getResult(Unknown Source)
at com.sparrowwallet.sparrow@1.7.4/com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.PagedBatchRequestBuilder.execute(Unknown Source)
at com.sparrowwallet.sparrow@1.7.4/com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.PagedBatchRequestBuilder.execute(Unknown Source)
at com.sparrowwallet.sparrow@1.7.4/com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.BatchedElectrumServerRpc.subscribeScriptHashes(Unknown Source)
… 14 common frames omitted
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unspecified id: ‘85’ in response
at simple.json.rpc.client@1.3/com.github.arteam.simplejsonrpc.client.builder.BatchRequestBuilder.processSingleResponse(Unknown Source)
at simple.json.rpc.client@1.3/com.github.arteam.simplejsonrpc.client.builder.BatchRequestBuilder.processBatchResponse(Unknown Source)
at simple.json.rpc.client@1.3/com.github.arteam.simplejsonrpc.client.builder.BatchRequestBuilder.execute(Unknown Source)
… 18 common frames omitted
2023-05-30 16:50:53,129 ERROR [JavaFX Application Thread] c.s.s.w.WalletForm [null:-1] Error retrieving wallet history
com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.ServerException: Failed to subscribe to paths: [m/0/0-m/0/24]
at com.sparrowwallet.sparrow@1.7.4/com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.ElectrumServer.subscribeWalletNodes(Unknown Source)
at com.sparrowwallet.sparrow@1.7.4/com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.ElectrumServer$TransactionHistoryService.getTransactionHistory(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics@18/javafx.concurrent.Service.lambda$executeTask$6(Unknown Source)
at javafx.graphics@18/javafx.concurrent.Service.lambda$executeTask$7(Unknown Source)
at com.sparrowwallet.sparrow@1.7.4/com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.RetryLogic.getResult(Unknown Source)
at com.sparrowwallet.sparrow@1.7.4/com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.BatchedElectrumServerRpc.subscribeScriptHashes(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unspecified id: ‘14’ in response
at simple.json.rpc.client@1.3/com.github.arteam.simplejsonrpc.client.builder.BatchRequestBuilder.processSingleResponse(Unknown Source)
at simple.json.rpc.client@1.3/com.github.arteam.simplejsonrpc.client.builder.BatchRequestBuilder.processBatchResponse(Unknown Source)
at simple.json.rpc.client@1.3/com.github.arteam.simplejsonrpc.client.builder.BatchRequestBuilder.execute(Unknown Source)
2023-05-30 16:50:53,219 ERROR [JavaFX Application Thread] c.s.s.w.WalletForm [null:-1] Error retrieving wallet history
com.sparrowwallet.sparrow.net.ServerException: Failed to subscribe to paths: [m/0/0-m/0/34]
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unspecified id: ‘85’ in response

The electrs log looks perfectly normal. I don’t know as much about Sparrow’s system as they do, can you give me more details on what they told you? Can you link me the page you found as well please? Any more details would be helpful to get to the bottom of this, but it looks like Sparrow is connected to StartOS correctly.

A little late and I’m no expert. I’ve often had issues connecting the wallets after running the ‘test’. I don’t run the test anymore. I have my server settings correct and I just fire up Sparrow and make sure the slider in the lower right is to the right which starts the connection. TOR starts then the connection is made and all the wallets load. I don’t know what it is but if I change settings on the Pro or the Pie, I run the test. If the test works (or even if it doesn’t), I restart Sparrow, skip the test and it just connects and works.

Okay, well if your ritual works, I would stick with it for now. These technologies are still early and are improving month by month. Following StartOS v040, we will have more connectivity flexibility options which will greatly improve reliability.

1 Like