Sparrow as a service

Hi guys!

Wondering if there are any plans to add sparrow as a wallet to the marketplace. Reason I ask is that using whirlpool through sparrow requires the machine running sparrow to always be on. So as this is an older laptop I worry about overheating and wearing down of components. If the wallet was hosted on the embassy machine then those worries are voided. As another poster wrote coinjoins are sporadic and I wouldn’t care if I could get the sparrow wallet hosted on the embassy as it is always on anyway.
Also, I’ve seen posts that say Jam is much slower than whirlpool because wide adoption isn’t there yet.
Can samorai’s whirpool client also be added to the marketplace so we’d have more choices?
Thanks

3 Likes

We would like to get this added, but the team is focused on the OS and so we cannot guarantee that we will get around to this in any kind of timely fashion. I have started a thread on the unofficial feedback forum that you might like to upvote. You may also like to ask the Sparrow team if they would be interested in packaging it, or see if you can find a community dev that might like to do so. In the past, users have accomplished this by paying the dev a crowdsourced bounty.

The same is true of the Dojo stack, which is highly upvoted. It is a bit more complicated due to the nature of their multi-container setup. It is possible, but would be much easier following multi-container support in the OS (no ETA at this time). In the meantime, we would highly recommend the guys at Ronin Dojo.

2 Likes

Hey thanks for getting back to me. That unoffical feedback forum is a cool site too. Upvoted all that seemed useful to me and I will contact sparrow. Excited about all the changes especially on the communications side that are coming this year. Keep up the good work!

4 Likes

Just wanted to give a follow up here. The developer replied to my question about packaging with the following: “You should be able to download and install the Sparrow .deb packages to Start9 already, assuming it is running a Debian-based distro. Use the appropriate Sparrow Server package if there is no GUI.”

So it seems he’s already gotten it packaged. Since I’m a linux newbie and don’t really want to start installing individual packages I’ll just wait for it to show up on the marketplace.

Cheers

There seems to be some confusion here. While our system is Debian-based, it is not a standard Linux distribution and it is generally advised against installing custom software. What we mean by ‘packaging’ is for the software to be loaded up with our SDK such that it can be interfaced with entirely in our UI. In the case of ‘headless’ (no GUI) software, such as Bitcoin or the Sparrow server, it can be connected to via a client, however it may make more sense to package the full software package, with UI, as is done with Specter.

Check out the Developer Docs for more info. If Craig is interested, we’d love to help get this running and published to our Marketplace such that users can get one-click access to it.

6 Likes

I have recently got my Pure up and running and would love to see Sparrow fully upgraded for StartOS

Sparrow doesn’t have a web interface. The “server” package of sparrow is the CLI version for running it in a terminal, so you could leave it running on a server. But that’s not the recommended way to use it on StartOS I suppose.

Yes I am aware of that being the case, I would like to see sparrow “packaged” as a StartOS service so that i could leave it running on my Pure

If I’m not mistaken Sparrow is developed pretty much by one guy @craigraw. He is probably stretched pretty thin but someone might be willing to package it. There is an opportunity for community developers to help package services. See here Start9's Marketplace Strategy

3 Likes

You might like to reach out to sethforprivacy who has already dockerized this software:

3 Likes

@remcoros has decided to package the desktop client for StartOS. It will likely be available on the Community Marketplace before long. Apparently the server software is not named very well, as it is only a cli client.

3 Likes

I’ve just sent the marketplace submission request to the start9 team.

If you want to be adventurous, you can download the latest beta release from: Releases · remcoros/sparrow-webtop-startos · GitHub (use the webtop-sparrow.s9pk file) and use the ‘side-load’ feature of StartOS.

7 Likes

Wow it’s nice, smooth install! Thanks for all the work. :beers:

1 Like

Thank you very much Kind & Talented Sir, Do you have :zap: addy so that a pleb could buy you a coffee

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more, I am total novice and I am up and running, ran a shasum check on the file and used the side load, working like a charm :sunglasses:

Just an update I had been running Sparrow on desktop to mix since I got my Pure up and running. So last night was the first night I ran Sparrow on server to mix, 1 mix was successful in the night, I noticed a few connection issues in the logs. So I did backup and restarted server and all services, everything seems to be ok. Will let mix run and see what happens. Took a few screen shots of logs on startup of Sparrow as a service.

Yes this error is persistent on my server. Anytime, I let leave the tab open for a while it will result in this error. Refreshing the browser immediately brings the wallet back up and everything functions normal. The question is whether or not mixing is still going on while in this state. Also, whether mixing continues when tab is closed but service is running on startOS. I have a mix going, and I closed the tab overnight. When I reopened the tab there were no additional mixes. But this might be due to low liquidity or lack of demand. I did get another mix today, but that was while the tab was open. So I don’t have a direct solution for you, but am testing it alongside you. Maybe @remcoros will weigh in with some insight. He is also releasing updates fairly quickly. Keep track of the latest version here Releases · remcoros/sparrow-webtop-startos · GitHub

1 Like

Do you have :zap: addy so that a pleb could buy you a coffee

I don’t (yet), but thanks a lot for the kind words. That’s enough for me.

The blue error screen is unfortunately a bug in the underlying tools (kasm/novnc), I got these too in my kasm workspaces. I think I know why this happens and where in the code, but still need to report it upstream :slight_smile:

It doesn’t have any effect on the service/sparrow itself though. It’s just the browser lost connection to the video stream and failed to reconnect due to a small bug in the javascript. Refresh the tab to reconnect.

If you experience any connection issues to whirlpool or retrieving a paynim takes ages, it’s likely Tor being unstable. If you disable tor, and test by retrieving a paynim, it’s much faster.

1 Like

I see that Sparrow has been releasing updates, is there a way for me to update my Instance of sparrow? If not do you have any plans on updating ? and you definately need to post a way for the users to support your work.
Thanks for your work, I have been running sparrow webtop for several weeks mixing coinjoins to a cold storage wallet !!!

On my personal repository, I have updated to Sparrow 1.8.4: Releases · remcoros/sparrow-webtop-startos · GitHub

you can use the StartOS sideload feature to update it using the .s9pk file.

I am waiting for Sparrow 1.8.5 to make a new release, and then also notify Start9 team about the update, so they can update the marketplace.

I have the feeling it won’t be long for sparrow 1.8.5 and don’t want to bother Start9 team twice for the update :slight_smile:

Aaaaand I see now Sparrow 1.8.5 has been released just hours ago. I will create an update, do some testing and then notify Start9 team about it.

3 Likes