StartOS won’t boot; SSD missing from installer

Hi, I’m running StartOS on an Intel NUC with a Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe SSD. The BIOS detects the SSD, but the current x86_64 installer, booted from a Kingston DataTraveler USB, sees only the USB and not the SSD.

Without the USB inserted, StartOS reaches GRUB but fails with:
failure reading sector 0x99440 from ‘hd0’
error: you need to load the kernel first

I have not erased, formatted, repartitioned, or selected “Start Fresh.”

What is the safest way to diagnose or repair this installation while preserving the existing data? thanks

Please provide some context here. When was the first sign of trouble, or when was the last time your server was working perfectly. Are there any circumstances around when the system stopped booting, such as power outages, installation of new software, updates, or misc errors and problems? Anything that correlates with your server becoming non-functional?

<5 days of total usage. StartOS first developed clock-sync problems, after which the filesystem became read-only, services could not be stopped, SSH stopped accepting connections, and the NUC lost its local boot option. Bitcoin core had just finished syncing.

Everything you have described is consistent with a failing SSD. If you doubt this, you can boot into a live Ubuntu session, and run a SMART test, or fsck.

If I’m right, you probably won’t be able to preserve existing data on the drive. You’ll need to recover from backup, which does not contain the blockchain data.

I don’t have anything of value on the server. Is there a significant chance the factory reset corrupts anything?

I’m not sure what you mean by factory reset. You can’t reinstall StartOS on a drive that is not being detected. Do you intend to replace the drive, or test it first, as I mentions above.