Stuck in limbo with pre-RDTS knots and electrs in start9 0.4

Hi,
It appears that there are no bitcoin knots pre-rdts versions that will work with electrs in start9 0.4. Is that correct? Does anyone know if there are plans to get these compatible?

Below seem to be the bitcoin knots version ranges that electrs shows it needs. Neither my knots legacy (29.3.1) nor the pre-rdts version in the community registry (29.3:27) seem to fall within the workable ranges:
Bracket 1: (28.4.0:17 - 29.0.0:0)
Bracket 2: (29.4.0:4 - 30.0.0:0)
Bracket 3: (30.3.0:4 - 31.0.0:0)
Bracket 4: >31.1.0:4

Bitcoin Knots is no longer maintaining their software for the majority-chain bitcoin. Unless someone decides to do so, or forks it (better).

I am looking for a Bitcoin Knots version to follow the Blake2b chain. I’m not able to download the most recent version due to an incompatibility with StartOS 0.4.0.1. Is there a way forward?

I’m not sure what you mean. Have you considering asking them? I doubt they’d release their software completely broken.

interesting - so are you saying knots is dead and now its either SHA256d BTC or Blake2B BTC? I have knots running on my node currently and am dual syncing Blake2B from My official Start9 registry - Bitcoin - PaulsCode using this custom marketplace

Old versions of Knots are not going to be maintained, no. Knots is now something different.

Options as of today:

  1. Keep running an older version of Knots and never update it, and don’t update any software that depends on it – a server frozen in time is not uncommon. Many people still run Core 29.

  2. Switch to Knots on Blake2Bcoin

  3. Switch to Core on Jpegcoin

In all cases, you might potentially want to run a second server for the opposing side plus all your other services.

I run the latest Knots (pre-RDTS) from the community registry full SHA256 chain as I may want to make transactions in the future plus do solomine a tiny amount. In parallel run a pruned Knots Companion from a custom registry on the Blake2B chain as I may want to self custody those coins in time. JpegCoin :slight_smile: too funny. Yeah I will never run that. It feels like this is all the contingency that anyone can do right now - strange times.. I guess many knew Miner Centralization was inevitable. NGU narrative will keep people happy until OFAC rules creep deeper into the chain… Would love to hear some decent debate on what’s coming but there are just a handful of separate camps throwing stuff back and forth at one another; Have to wait and see I guess what comes next. Thanks

The Community Registry version of Knots (pre-RDTS) is working just fine and has had a couple updates since the chain split. How it will be maintained in the future remains to be seen. At this time my server is running 29.3:27 and Electrs 0.11.1:20 and everything is communicating as it should. Although the dependencies listed for Electrs appear to not match, it comes back as satisfied when you actually run it.

Thanks for this info. That’s interesting.

I can’t seem to get to the Community Registry version of Knots (pre-RDTS) because my current version (Knots Legacy) is version 29.3.1. I automatically got this when upgrading from start9 0.3.5.1 with the latest version of pre-RDTS Knots I could get (29.3.1 0507). I get the below error trying to switch to the community registry version, which I assume is because start9 sees it as downgrading versions:

“Unknown Error: Error: cannot migrate from #knots:29.3.1:0 to #knotsprerdts:29.3:27”.

I am wondering if it’s a viable option to switch to Core and then switch again to the Community Registry version of Knots (pre-RDTS), or if I’ll run into a problem again. Maybe start9 won’t have an issue since it’s different clients.

If not, then if I eventually decide I need to go to Core, I noticed this recent article written by @StuPleb: [Guide] Bitcoin "C'nots" – Configuring Bitcoin Core to work more like Knots pre-RDTS

There was a period of a couple of weeks where anyone running RDTScoin and actively following the situation could have switched from Knots RDTS to anything else because the switch only involved a slight reorg at the end of a very short chain. Now though you can no more switch from RDTS to Core than you can one distinct crypto to another – they’re different things entirely and the switching mechanism is for switching between two version of the same thing.

If you have a StartOS server and you’re not running Bitcoin and you’d like to run Bitcoin – then you’d have to install a Bitcoin service essentially for the first time… either Core or and old version of Knots. If you’re running #knots:29.3.1:0, you simply are not running the same thing.

Thanks.

The knots legacy version I’m on is the pre-rdts chain. I switched from the rdts knots version back to the main chain before upgrading start9 to 0.4.0.1. I looked at the properties and it appeared to be synced up to the latest block of the main chain. I then upgraded start9 0.4.0.1 and it was renamed to Knots Legacy. I think the Legacy nomenclature signifies it’s on the sha256 chain. Is that correct?

As far as I understand, the 0507 version of knots 29.3.1 was the last knots version to work on the pre-rdts chain. So if my understanding is correct, I should be able to switch to Core, and maybe then to the Community Registry Knots (Pre-RDTS) version. I think.

Thanks.

No, this is the RDTS soft-fork one. It did work on the majority bitcoin chain… right up until it forked. The only viable way to “switch” currently is to be on the specific non-signally pre-RDTS.

Hopefully they decide to call Knots on StartOS something like knotsbtcb2 rather than bitcoin, opening the way to be able to run both side by side for those who want to.

I went into the Properties and checked the sync summary. From what Google says, this is close to the main chain blockheight. It stated that the Blake2B softfork was somewhere around 962,440+.

image

I feel like this confirms that the Knots version I’m on with the 0507 build date was the last version before the fork. My understanding that the 0508 build date and anything after is the RDTS chain. Can someone confirm I’m on the main chain?

I guess if it is, I can try going to Core and then onto the Community Registry Knots (Pre-RDTS). That way I may be able to get my electrs and mempool working again, but not sure if startos will let me downgrade versions (Core to Knots Pre-RDTS) even though they’re different clients. Anyone know or tried this?

I guess if it’s not the main chain or there’s a technical issue with making these two hops, I may need to reindex. Hoping to avoid that.

Thanks.

you can do it with this custom registry that’s what I am running.

Its the last version of knots published by StartOS. running along side ( Custom software )a pruned Blake2B on the same node with 16GB Mem and 2T Storage - I also have nextcloud and box is comfortable.

So you can just install Knots companion, Electrs Pruned, Mempool Pruned and Datum Pruned ( if you want to mine solo or via rented hash ) and if you want to self custody XBT ( ticker pending ) into a readonly hot wallet you can do so with Sparrow Blake2B which is forking the Sparrow Project as Craig Wight isn’t going to maintain two branches of Sparrow. And cold store once firmware is available to support the 164 Header ( probably seed-signer will be the first one to offer it )

Needless to say usual caveats apply on usage but so far Paul appears a standup guy. https://www.youtube.com/@paullamb1100/videos :folded_hands:

I forked it: GitHub - ellenkampguus/knots-untangled: Continuation of non-rdts Bitcoin Knots. · GitHub.

I am on the same pre-RDTS knots version. However, the electrs refuse to start saying “Bitcoin pre-RDTS incorrect version” under the dependencies.

The above happened right after I restarted Start9.

Anyone know what I can do?

Edit: just realised that the latest version of electrs requires bitcoin node software version >31.1.

Nah; that’s it on Community Reg Knots is dead; you have to fork off. Can be done with these versions which has an electrs that works with a knots companion My official Start9 registry - Bitcoin - PaulsCode

You won’t need to go with Core - there are enough people in the background ensuring that a path forward for knots on 256 and on Blake2B remains

Paul Lamb has said he intends to release his forked version of Knots and keep it maintained. He also will try to get it onto the Start9 registry. I’m waiting for his version at present and I agree Paul is a standup guy. His pruned versions of the software allow both SHA256 and Blake2b versions to run on the same node, which is very helpful in the the current scenario.

Did the same misstake. Updated electrs to latest, then it crashed, deleted the electrs and pulled backup. But still even on older version (0.11.1.20) is crashing on **
Bitcoin Knots (pre-RDTS)** 29.3:27. I guess will have to move to Pauls Code Knots.