Synology VMM installation

I checked proxmox manual - it’s quite detailed and the process seems not easy.

Is there a similar detailed manual how to install on Synology VM?

P.S. For now I stuck at the very beginning when Synology VM needs OVA file but StartOS is an ISO. I think I’ll face more such points along the way (like choosing between LegacyBIOS/UEFI and other stuff).

So far I tried similar steps as in Proxmox manual and stuck at this point:

It shows that the drive is too small (16Gb) however I have 64Gb allocated.

Finally I managed to solve the issue above by increasing the disk size before starting installation.

Now I faced with the issue that 64Gb is not enough for full node in Bitcoin core.

It seems there is no way to point StartOS to existing folder on Synology to store blockchain data.

I’ve started to reinstall StartOS again in order to choose “Recovery” options but both “Use existing drive” and “Transfer” don’t allow to mount existing folder on Synology.

Do I get right that there is no way to point StartOS to existing folder on Synology (similarly as for backups through SMB)?

At this time, you have to use the install disk to store data, unless you hack it together and mount it manually somehow. You can run a pruned Bitcoin node on a disk of that size, but I would recommend starting over and allocating the full amount of disk you want. If you need an archival node, you’ll want a TB.

If there’s a docker image of Start9, you could deploy to docker on Synology. Once deployed, you can access the instance’s files via file manager and, presumably, via SMB, ftp, etc. Not sure if that fits your use case. FWIW, I’ve been running a full Bitcoin node like this on my older (2016) Synology NAS for about two years. Works great. Uses about 5Gb of the unit’s 8Gb of RAM. Newer Synologies ship with only 4Gb, so you might want to add RAM.

Is there any manual describing installation / configuration of StartOS in Docker (preferable to Synology)?

1 Like

I’d also be interested in this.

Not that we know of, but it shouldn’t be too difficult for someone to dockerize the OS. This may or may not be a good idea - running containers in containers can lead to unintended consequences. It is better to use lower-level virtualization (such as KVM/Proxmox) if required. Keep in mind that if you intend to run this on spinning disks, you will have serious performance degradation. We highly recommend SSDs since your software is running on these disks.