Unable to access vaultwarden on GrapheneOS

Hi there,
Im stumped. I have an android phone using GrapheneOS with 3 user profiles.
I can access bitwarden with one profile without Orbot installed.
I cant connect to vaultwarden with the other two profiles with or without orbot.
I can also acces vaultwarden with my iphone without orbot.
same applies to nextcloud.
Please help.

Hi Niko

It sounds like you’re experiencing a connectivity issue with Vaultwarden and Nextcloud on certain profiles of your GrapheneOS Android phone. Here are a few steps to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the problem:

1. Check Network Settings

• Ensure that the network settings are the same across all user profiles. Go to Settings > Network & Internet and compare the configurations.

2. Orbot Configuration

• Verify if Orbot is causing the issue. Try disabling Orbot temporarily and see if the other profiles can connect to Vaultwarden and Nextcloud without it.

3. Permissions and Settings

• Ensure that all necessary permissions are granted for the problematic profiles. Go to Settings > Apps > [Your App] > Permissions and compare with the profile that works.
  • Check for any VPN or proxy settings that might be affecting the connection.

4. App Settings

• Check the Bitwarden app settings. Make sure the URLs, login credentials, and any custom settings are consistent across profiles.
  • Re-enter the server URLs and login credentials to ensure there are no typos or errors.

5. Profile Isolation

• GrapheneOS is designed with strong security and profile isolation. There could be settings unique to each profile affecting connectivity. Ensure that no additional security measures (like firewalls or VPNs) are enabled that might block access.I
1 Like

I’m a little confused by what you need help with. Your post subject says you can’t access your Vaultwarden on GrapheneOS, but you don’t provide any details as to what they means or what happens. In the main body of text, then go on to say that you can indeed access (I think?) Vaultwarden from GrapheneOS, which means you went through the process and completed it successfully.

What is the issue? Which guide were you following?

I have 3 user profiles on my pixel running GrapheneOS. Owner, USER1 and USER2.
I have installed bitwarden on all 3 but i can only sign into it using USER1. And as far as nextcloud goes I cant connect on any of them. The message is QR code cannot be read. I followed the instructions under nextcloud and Vaultwarden.
I also have an iphone that have both running no problem.

This sounds unrelated to the server (since you’ve proven it to work with one account, and on other devices) and so must be some configuration issue with GrapheneOS… but I can’t guess what it might be as you haven’t provided any details other than that you “can’t” sign in. What does it say? What is the error? Did you confirm by trying to sign into the initial Bitwarden account on the second GrapheneOS profile?

I’m not sure how to help with any bug specific to GrapheneOS or Nextcloud’s software in reading the application password QR code, but if it is indeed failing as you say, you do of course have the option of not clicking to show the QR code and entering the string instead. Can you QR code really not be read?? That sounds very unlikely, getting a malformed QR code would be unusual. More likely would be for the data in the QR to be read correctly, then the connection tried and then that failing with a connection error… perhaps related to your Bitwarden issue.

ok so i have vaultwarden up and running on my start9.
Ive installed bitwarden on an ipad and it works on LAN without ORBOT.
Ive also installed bitwarden on an iphone and it works everywhere with or without orbot.
Ive also installed bitwarden on a pixel 7pro running Grapheneos.
I have 3 user profiles and have bitwarden installed on all 3.
on my main owner user profile, i cant get bitwarden to connect to my start9 server on vaultgarden with or without orbot connected.
on the second user profile its connected without orbot. and my 3rd user profile also does not connect to srart9 server on vaultwarden.
is there something else that im missing to disclose?

Also i enter the server address by cut and pasting. Theres no option to scan a qr code on my bitwarden

The error message i receive when i try to connect says Exception message: connection faillure

I’d like to help you get to the bottom of this as there may be a tip or trick we can add to our guides.

The one profile that’s working without Orbot… I assume that’s with the .local rather than the .onion? That’s on of the things I wanted you to try.

For the .onions, is Orbot set to VPN mode with the Bitwarden app added? Start9 | Running Tor on Android

On the user that’s connected without ORBOT is the .onion with proton VPN connected.
Which doesnt make sense.

I managed to get it connected on the owner profile under .local with or without ORBOT and proton VPN but cant get the .onion to work with or without ORBOT or proton vpn. WEIRD.

Another test I’d run through is to cycle through each profile… disabling everything on two profiles, the activate Orbot on one and see if it works, then disable on that one, and try on the next. If you can make it work on one profile at a time consistently, it might be something you can take to the GrapheneOS team.

Im not sure what happened but now it works on all 3 profiles. with or without ORBOT.
I didnt do anything different except keep trying the same thing over and over which was entering my .onion address.

Tor is somehow still running somewhere somehow. I would guess if you restart the phone it would stop working.

if i figure out the issue i will take it to the Grapheneos team.
Now back to Start9.
Another issue im having is that im not able to create an account on MATRIX. I enter the username, password and my .local address and when i click sign in I get a message right away saying, FAILED TO FETCH.
i try it again and the second time it looks like its going to connect but it just keeps spinning and nothing happens. This is being done on a mac mini connected to my S9 server on Brave, safari and firefox.

I assume you’re following this guide and the error appears when creating the user via the web browser?

You may need to dig into the logs for Synapse for a better error. Remember though that the health checks need to be green before doing this.

wow do i feel stupid.
I was entering the wrong URL. thanks.

1 Like