Update failed (0.3.5)- bricked device

So I recently tried updated my StartOS diy server (repurposed Asus laptop) that has had several successful updates, as well as backups.
After the update (0.3.5) was complete and I went to restart, that’s when the trouble began. It all played out almost exactly as what happened to user “Nunosav” in this thread.

Unforunately, I wasn’t able to get a screenshot of StartOS diagnostic mode screen ath time, as I tried re-flashing from a USB instead. That’s when I encountered this seemingly never-ending boot-loop.

I reset my BIOS settings to default and tried from usb without success.

Now when I enter BIOS, it doesn’t even see my SSD, so it looks like the connection from SSD to motherboard is lost.

Is there some other way that I can access my logs from the SSD so it’s easier to diagnose? If the logs are stored on the SSD, and the motherboard won’t read, I guess I’m SOL?

UPDATE: I removed the SSD from the laptop and I can’t seem to get it to show up on my other devices. I believe the SSD to be pooched. It simply isn’t visible on any disk utility program that I’ve tried.

The only thing I could suggest is to use the nonfree image if you were not, as it may be required for your graphics adapter.

If your SSD has indeed failed, then obviously you’ll have to restore from backup to a fresh setup. If this was the case, I’m sorry for your loss.

1 Like