Using OpenAI to help package services

I have been looking into trying to package a service for Start9 (standard notes). Being pretty knew to docker an all, I have been struggling a bit. I put some prompts into HARPA AI browser extension to try and help me through the process a bit. This is what I got.

Ok, if you can’t give me .s9pk file, give me all of the text I would put in it.

To package Standard Notes as a .s9pk file for Start9, you would need to create the necessary files and folder structure. Here’s the text you would put in the .s9pk file:

1. Dockerfile:
FROM standardnotes/syncing-server:latest
EXPOSE 3000
  1. manifest.yaml:
id: com.standardnotes
version: 1.0.0
name: Standard Notes
description: Self-hosted Standard Notes server
author: Your Name
maintainer: Your Email Address
repository: https://github.com/standardnotes/syncing-server
arch: amd64
dependencies:
  - docker
startup_command: docker run -d --name standard-notes -p 3000:3000 standardnotes/syncing-server
  1. Other files: You would also need to include any other required files according to the Standard Notes self-hosting instructions. These may include configuration files, SSL certificates (if applicable), and any additional customizations or settings specific to your deployment.

Please note that the above information is a template, and you should modify it according to your specific requirements and configuration. Additionally, make sure you have the necessary licenses and permissions to package and distribute Standard Notes as a self-hosted service.

After creating and populating these files accordingly, you can package them into a .s9pk file using the packaging process mentioned in the Start9 documentation.

How acurate does this look? Does this open up a possible avenue to help speed along package development? Could Start9 create an automated (very alpha stage with many warnings that the tool is still in development) tool tool to walk us through the packaging process? It could use OpenAI (or maybe a self-hosted local AI for privacy) to power it. It could as you a series of questions (url of the docker file you would like to package, where certain directories need to be, what ports, etc., etc.) to help you build the file. It would then, as you go through the process, offer suggestions. For example, if you try and use port 22, that would be a bad idea and it would warn you. Or maybe you try and package a docker file with the wrong architecture. It would detect this and maybe suggest a different file.

I know that a lot of people find the idea of packaging a service very intimidating. A helpful tool that would explain each step in common language would be very helpful to speeding along the process of package development.

These machines are very early, and are far from intelligent. They also probably have almost no information to go on in relation to StartOS packaging. The information it gave you is not even really a starting point, and is completely wrong in several places. You would do much better to follow our documentation and hello-world example, and ask questions as you go.

In the future, we will likely train one of these machines to be more helpful with StartOS and packaging for users and devs, but that won’t come anytime soon.

Ok, thanks for the info. Hopefully soon I will sit down and figure out how to package something. Probably once clearnet support gets added and such.

This will be a much more uniform experience, with more power and flexibility. Still a ways off, but we’re excited to show it as soon as we can.