Will Raspberry Pi 5 (8GB) work, now or in future?

I searched and hope I didn’t miss a previous post.
I’m a beginner, and would like to install StartOS on a Raspberry Pi to explore/learn.

I have a Raspberry Pi 5 (8GB), originally purchased for something else.
The supported Hardware only lists Raspberry Pi 4 (8GB).
Will it also run as-is on a Pi 5? I don’t know if they’re compatible.
If not, is there an expected release date for the Pi 5?

If it does run on the Pi 5, is it also recommended to put everything on the memory card same as the Pi 4?

It’ll probably work, but we haven’t had any reports yet. I’d go through the process for the Pi 4 on the Pi 5 and let us know what happens.

https://docs.start9.com/0.3.5.x/diy/diy-pi

If this is just for testing, that’s fine, but otherwise please head the relevant warnings…

1. External unpowered USB SSD = bad
  2. Using it for Bitcoin will be a struggle.

Thanks, hopefully I have the time to try in the next few weeks.
Want to try Vaultwarden, and maybe something for sharing files between my devices.

When I do finally have time to try it, I’ll follow up on this thread.

I couldn’t get it to work on my Pi 5, but I am no expert. Please let me know if you have any success.

1 Like

Sven Kiljan published an article on his website, Arch Linux ARM on a Raspberry Pi 5 Model B - Sven and the Art of Computer Maintenance, saying that he had issues installing Arch Linux on a raspberry pi 5 because the Pi 5 is incompatible with u-boot. He overcame this by replacing the mainline kernel with a directly booting kernel from the Raspberry Pi foundation.

That’s what I am going to try next, but I am punching above my weight.

1 Like

It has not “just worked” in testing. Sounds like a custom build will be required.

1 Like

Doesn’t work on my raspberry pi 5 with the install instructions. Shame, I was keen to give this a go.

1 Like

It will likely require a custom build as mentioned above. Due to the prevalence of much more performant hardware at similar prices, this is a very low priority for us. Perhaps a community dev will hack it together.

1 Like

Hi KenD,
I have put together 14 Bitcoin nodes using S9’s then-current OS’s, starting in Nov’21, and continuing thru most of 2022. I managed to get 10 of them completely IBD’d and running normally from then on – tho’ i had a good bit of trouble w/ several of them during IBD (initial Blockchain d/l) Four of my attempts never made it all way thru IBD. Having to power the SSD thru the Pi’s USB (3) connection is definitely one of the MAJOR causes of trouble w/ the typical setup. This can be addressed by powering the SSD EXTERNALLY from the Pi4 – as Start9 strongly recommends.
Then i SUSPECT that the SATA II to USB(3!) adapter/ dongle can be another significant source of SSD data corruption (which SEEMS to be the cause of most difficulties getting the Pi thru the IBD process). There are at least 3-4 different little IC mfg companies that make a key IC used in those dongles - & at least some of those companies make several different ICs. There seem to be some data xfer protocol differences - & God knows what else - between these various ICs. I suspect that some of those ICs are not up to the task of all the IBD operations (which as you may know includes (re)-verifying ALL the blocks of the entire blockchain from Genesis!)

SO - my advice (like that of StuPleb, & Start9) is to at least externally power the SSD - separately from the Pi. And if you still have trouble w/ IBD, get a SATA II to USB(3) adapter dongle from a DIFFERENT maker than the one you started with. Start9 used to have (around 2023?) a recommended dongle - which may have included a connection for externally powering the SSD.
One other point about power: You should use quality power supply(s), that have more-than-adequate current capacity (at LEAST 3A, if using 1 p/s for both Pi & SSD; min of 2A for just the Pi, & possibly only 1A for the SSD. The power supply(s) should ALSO have fairly low electrical noise on their DC output, and tight output voltage regulation (voltage must not “sag” when current draw is high) The 3A Canacord-branded p/s that was often sold with the Pi4 several years ago, is a good choice - no doubt there are other good ones, but also probably LOTS of junky ‘no-name’ ones (& possibly even counterfeit well-branded ones…! :frowning_face:

1 Like

Hi, I can’t use StarOS on my Raspberry Pi 5 (8 GB) either. Can you tell me if you managed to solve it? And if you did, how did you do it?
Thank you very much for sharing in advance

We don’t have a build for the Raspberry Pi 5… yet. So it’s not going to work. It’s a not a great value device in terms of power for money, so it’s not currently the highest priority I’m afraid.

1 Like

Hello start9dave. Any news on this? Nobody seems to have managed to put StarOS on a Raspberry Pi 5 yet

Thank you very much for your reply StuPleb, I appreciate it.
Yes, I understand that. But at least for me, it’s much more convenient to buy a Raspberry Pi because I’m a beginner and there’s tonnes of information on how to work with it. Plus it’s available all over the world. That weighed heavily in my decision to buy this device over another. But as I said, I completely understand that it’s not a priority for you, but I’m sorry that it is, because I definitely wanted to use StartOS and not another OS. But I’ll have to find another solution

I’ve never heard of anyone unable to find Intel or AMD x86 information easily in any part of the world… or why you’d need that information to install StartOS at all.

Flash a USB, insert it into a cheap mini PC, and you’re done (and for the same money, more processing power and more RAM).

2 Likes