Will Raspberry Pi 5 (8GB) work, now or in future?

I searched and hope I didn’t miss a previous post.
I’m a beginner, and would like to install StartOS on a Raspberry Pi to explore/learn.

I have a Raspberry Pi 5 (8GB), originally purchased for something else.
The supported Hardware only lists Raspberry Pi 4 (8GB).
Will it also run as-is on a Pi 5? I don’t know if they’re compatible.
If not, is there an expected release date for the Pi 5?

If it does run on the Pi 5, is it also recommended to put everything on the memory card same as the Pi 4?

It’ll probably work, but we haven’t had any reports yet. I’d go through the process for the Pi 4 on the Pi 5 and let us know what happens.

https://docs.start9.com/0.3.5.x/diy/diy-pi

If this is just for testing, that’s fine, but otherwise please head the relevant warnings…

1. External unpowered USB SSD = bad
  2. Using it for Bitcoin will be a struggle.

Thanks, hopefully I have the time to try in the next few weeks.
Want to try Vaultwarden, and maybe something for sharing files between my devices.

When I do finally have time to try it, I’ll follow up on this thread.

I couldn’t get it to work on my Pi 5, but I am no expert. Please let me know if you have any success.

Sven Kiljan published an article on his website, Arch Linux ARM on a Raspberry Pi 5 Model B - Sven and the Art of Computer Maintenance, saying that he had issues installing Arch Linux on a raspberry pi 5 because the Pi 5 is incompatible with u-boot. He overcame this by replacing the mainline kernel with a directly booting kernel from the Raspberry Pi foundation.

That’s what I am going to try next, but I am punching above my weight.

It has not “just worked” in testing. Sounds like a custom build will be required.

Doesn’t work on my raspberry pi 5 with the install instructions. Shame, I was keen to give this a go.

It will likely require a custom build as mentioned above. Due to the prevalence of much more performant hardware at similar prices, this is a very low priority for us. Perhaps a community dev will hack it together.