External Cooling for Server Pure...needed or no?

I noticed that my Server Pure is running a bit hot and am concerned because heat = death. Is it recommended to have an external fan blowing on the server or is there a better way to ensure it stays cool. Please let me know if this really isn’t and issue as well as the server is operating in a controlled 75 degree environment. Thanks!

The Server Pure can work as it is out of the box perfectly fine. sometimes it can get up to 80-90c if it’s really working, that’s OK too.
That said if you want to install an external fan blowing on the server this will definitely not hurt. But again it is not strictly necessary.

Thanks Alvaro…I have a small desktop fan that is perfect for the task, but wanted to confirm that there wouldn’t be any problem with it. I appreciate it!

You are going to laugh, but this is how I keep my home router cool inside a cupboard. It is a USB powered Noctua fan.

1 Like

Lol! Nice man…I like it! Here’s what I am rolling with…

1 Like

Not a bad setup. If it works it works :grin:

That looks like a great idea, how noisy is the fan? I sit right next to a Synology NAS and i can not hear anything from those fans

It would be helpful to monitor the actual temps of the device under System → Monitor. I see it sits on another computer, which will add a bit of heat, but generally that environment sounds plenty healthy.

2 Likes

What temps might be a cause for concern? I am seeing 73 C*

Yeah…the fan is pretty quiet given it is a small desk fan (rechargeable), but can operate plugged in as well. It seems to be working quite well. Seeing temps between 41-43 degrees C = 105.8 F, which is still too high for ideal server temps. According to dataspan, " The optimal server room temperature is between 68 and 71 degrees . Overall, the recommended temperature can range from 50 to 82 degrees." I am going to order a cooling pad for the server to sit on and see if that can continue to bring the temp down. BTW RPL, 73C = 163.4F…that is running hot.

1 Like

Hoping that after all the services are synced up that the temps come down, but i think its time for some supplemental ventilation for the cabinet, I have a firewall device running in same cabinet that is only @ 48*C

That would make sense temps should come down. I just finished up syncing yesterday and unfortunately did not take a look at the actual monitor temp, otherwise, I would pass it along. Seems to be holding steady around 45C with current setup and I am ordering a laptop cooling system that should be here tomorrow. I’ll pass that along if that helps or not.

1 Like

Current services all synced up and running = 54 C, seems ok but i will look for some additional cooling for cabinet that equipment is in.

Here’s the new setup…

…looks pretty damn good, but holding steady at 44*C. Server has been running non-stop for over 2 days now, so, I think it’s good to go.

2 Likes

Now it’s ready for anything :metal:

1 Like

I found something a little smaller, will be here Friday, I will post a pic when i get it

I am only running 3 services currently, about 6% CPU utilization - 54 C, I turned of all but one service, less than 2 % CPU utilization - 47 C. Just some additional data, so 44 C depending on services running and CPU uti seems really good

I am running about the same. I got some feedback from the Start9 crew stating that the room temp should be between 50 and 82F…not the CPU temp as the article I referenced said, so I think were good to go running around 45-55C.

1 Like

My server rarely gets below 58C - I run quite a few services and it’s in a rack with other equipment. Performance is generally fine, I get a hiccup every now and then while streaming high quality video or doing deep chain lookups.
You guys are inspiring me to re-engineer cooling for this rack. I’ve been putting it off for a while, but it is likely having an effect on the longevity of my gear.

1 Like

We’re sitting at 35C at ~25% avg load inside a Proxmox VM on a Dell Optiplex SFF 3050. Dust and all. 16GB of memory dedicated for JPEGs and all. Running all the bitcoin services. This is using a state of the art cooling unit, better known as the shoe rack ventilation method. Ambient room temp ~65 F.

2 Likes