[Known-Good Hardware Master List] Hardware Capable of Running StartOS

I’ve got things running fine on a Late 2012 Mac mini (6,1 A1347) that I upgraded 16GB RAM and a 2GB SSD. Everything works fine save for Wifi

1 Like

Running on Asrock mainboard, CPU i5-5600k @3,5GHz quadcore, 2x8Gb ram, raid controller M1505 megaraid 9260 8i with 3x2TB ssd as raid 5! (controller flashed with newest firmware) which leaves me 3,63TB storage! eOS is on an extra ssd with 128GB.

I tried software raid with intel rapid storage first. But this didnt work although linux detected the raid setup but eOS only detected the single ssd`s. eOS didnt detect the raid drive which was in dev/mapper/…
Maybe its somehow possible.
After i faild with this i bought a cheap raid controller. If you want you can buy raid controllers which are 500 bucks, but i only paid 50 bucks for the M1505 9260 8i (but IBM version) the LSI version should be faster during boot but i didnt compare.
I flashed the controller to the newest firmware, this took some time to figure out but if you know how it works its quite simple. Configuration of a raid 5 was also very simple with some youtube input.
Raid 5 needs at least 3 ssd. It is nut a backup setup but its a redundancy setup which lets you fail one ssd. When you insert a new ssd (for the failed one) the system can recover.

Then i installed eOS on a separet drive with only 128 GB.

2 Likes

Really cool setup - would love to hear details on your RAID setup (hardware/software) and any hurdles along the way. I’m sure many folks would love to increase their storage and add redundancy

1 Like

2015 Macbook pro. I had to add a mini port → ethernet adapter to get through setup.
Under wifi it says "RPC ERROR WiFi Internal Error: No WiFi interface available.
Other than that, works like a champ!

2 Likes

Installed 0.3.3 on a Lenovo Thinkcentre 710q tiny. Ethernet needed to be connected without wireless dongle attached. 512 gb SSD and 16gb of RAM. Will be backing up to 1 tb external storage over LAN as recommended.

1 Like

Successful install of embassyOS 0.3.3 on and old laptop I had laying around.
Has been running without issue.

Dell Inspiron i7559-5012GRY
Intel Quad Core i7-6700HQ, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD

Only annoyance experienced was microscopic text on the laptop display.

3 Likes

When you say microscopic text - is this just inherent to your laptop, or is the text within Embassy’s UI specifically a problem? If so, maybe give us some screenshots and we can see if adjustments can be made. We make it a point to have mobile support, but we are considering breaking out mobile, small res, and high res display modes.

Dave,

It is not inherent to the laptop. I have installed other operating systems on this laptop and this is the first time I am experiencing this.

I do apologize for the quality of the pictures.

Here is a link to an album with additional photos.

That’s quite odd - I’ll pass this on to the front end team to see if anything can be done. Are you zoomed way out by any chance? A temporary solution would be to zoom the window by holding the ctrl key and tapping the + key. You can also access from another device of course

Can you let me know the default resolution of this screen?

I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p Tiny I bought from ebay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/293526962748). Works great, except sometimes Tor misbehaves.

• Intel(R) Core™ i5-4570T CPU @ 2.90GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • 1TB Techleaf SSD

Synced bitcoind including txindex and bfindex in 19 hours.

1 Like

Embassy OS 0.3.3 working fine on Lenovo Thinkpad T470

1 Like

Embassy OS 0.3.3 working fine on Intel NUC10 ( i5-10210U, 8GB RAM, upgraded SSD to 1T).
(Note that it doesn’t work on Intel NUC11 as NUC10 was the last version with BIOS allowing Legacy Boot)

1 Like

Embassy OS 0.3.3 stretched but working also on Dell Micro Inspiron 3050 with only 2GB RAM (upgraded SSD from a minuscule 32G (!) to 1T.

(That makes it my 6th node, that will probably be enough shortly :smile: )

3 Likes

EmbassyOS 0.3.3 running smoothly on Alienware Alpha R2, I had lying around.

1 Like

Having a similar issue on a Lenovo thinkpad , the installation went well , but fonts are small , is there a way to increase the font size, would that be done in the os or in the bios

Successful installation on a Lenovo thinkpad t550 8gb/2tb , i7 processor, Question is Will the embassy os continue to still run if the laptop’s lid is closed. If not how can this be accomplished

2 Likes

Successful installation on a Morefine M6 mini PC.
To boot need to add a kernel parameter:

I915.force_probe=4e61
1 Like

As you can imagine, it would be impossible for us to support all hardware, so you will be on your own for figuring out how to keep your device from sleeping with the lid closed. You may have to put some sort of instructions into a /media/embassy/config/postinit.sh script. Feel free to open a new post with your findings.

1 Like

I was able to install on a Dell OptiPlex 7050 i5-6600T Micro with 8GB RAM.

I bought it off ebay and it didn’t come with a hard drive. There are so many variations of micro/mini PCs that are resold on ebay which meet the minimum CPU/RAM recommendation. Just hard to find one with a large enough drive for the blockchain. Would recommend buying that separately. Ended up getting a WD Blue 1TB SSD. Setup is working nicely!

Also don’t forget to check BIOs firmware when setting up. Mine was grossly outdated.

1 Like

Minisforum DeskMini UM350 working great. After an update to 2TB NVMe and 32GB RAM, synced bitcoin in 13 hours 18 minutes, with bfindex and txindex and 16GB dbcache. Graphics drivers are not supported in PureOS, so no kiosk mode, so need to set up via LAN. Had a weird ghost issue where the ethernet adapter appeared to break, then started working again after a power outage (router restart?) Other than that I’m extremely happy with it.

1 Like