[Known-Good Hardware Master List] Hardware Capable of Running StartOS

I have tried this as well but my start9 instance kept restarting and always wanted to repeat the installation as the storage somehow wasn’t accepted on my UTM…

Thanks for your reply. I followed the instructions to trust the Root CA and when I go to the .local url it says ‘Root CA Trusted!’, but in the search bar it says ‘Not secure’, and if I continue to login, as prompted, then ‘Not secure’ is in red… Not sure how to solve this. Tried it on PC and also on laptop, both connected to the same network in the LAN, laptop by wifi, PC by ethernet. Was wondering if it is possible to just connect locally with http only… If not I am a bit stuck. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Okay I sorted it! (Woooohooooooooo!!!)
In firefox:- in settings - privacy and security - view certificates - Authorities - Import (tick all trust boxes).
In Brave:- in settings - privacy and security - security - manage certificates - Authorities - Import (then tick all boxes)

It sounds like you might have flashed the drive directly, is this the case? If so, you need to flash a USB drive (or equivalent) and use that to install TO your internal drive.

I have got Start9 running smoothly on an HP Elitebook 840 g3 (i5/16gb). I swapped the SSD for a 2tb NVMe 3rd gen. Bitcoin Core took. just over 1.5 days to sync. I browsed through the forum, doing my best to learn. When I came across the post above by @SpiralCrunch, I realized the CPU was running at 50-55% with the lid closed… After using the linked script, CPU usage is 6-10%.

The only thing that appears off is that the system time is wrong in the monitor section.

That might be due to StartOS being configured to be in the UTC timezone. I don’t think there is an easy built-in way to configure this. It’s perfectly fine though, afaik it’s recommended to run servers in UTC timezone anyway.

Agreed, GMT+0 it is the system default, which equates to UTC as @remcoros mentioned. @Meesh are you seeing a different time zone under System Time?

I see GMT+0. I guess that means all is good. I am new to linux, servers, scripts–all of this. I thought it would display the local timezone. Thank you for the input @remcoros /@Jeremy .

Hi, I have successfully installed StartOS on a GMKtec Nucbox G3 with an Intel N100 CPU, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB NVMe SSD and 256 GB Sata SSD (for backups).

The Bitcoin blockchain sync took 18 hours.

For now I am very satisfied with StartOS and the performance of the device.

Successfully installed StartOS on a Dell Optiplex Micro 7010.

@k0gen I am trying to install StartOS on a MacBook (MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) Intel Core I7 2.7 GHz Quad-Core. 16GB RAM. Graphics: Radeon Pro 455 455 2 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB) I did the sudo wipefs -a -f /dev/nameofdrive. It did cause my live usb to boot. The regular StartOS ISO failed due to drivers so I tried the non free. The nonfree got farther and kiosk mode kicked in. I selected the main drive to install it, but still got the RPC ERROR: Disk Management…etc. Do you have any more tricks up your sleeve? I checked and I believe this model does not have the T2 chip with the added secure boot stuff, so I would think it should load???

I also loaded ubuntu live and tried reformating the drive after wiping it, and the after reboot stuck in StartOS live USB. That didn’t work either. RPC ERROR device managment… no path exists…

Just went back to a VM on ubuntu for now but it runs really hot. Would love to get StartOS going on this Macbook. It would be my primary testing server.

Just got StartOS working on the following:
Intel i7-8700k CPU @ 3.7GHz
Asus Prime Z370-A (BIOS Ver.3005-2024/01/16)
Samsung 990 2TB Pro SSD x2
G.SKILL RIPJAWS4 32GB

Created a RAID 1 in BIOS first but StartOS could not see the drive for install. Set drives back to AHCI and could see both drives and installed. Any chance StartOS will support RAID setup in future? Does anyone have this working?

Thank You
:smile:

1 Like

We will support RAID in the future, but you should be able to get it to work at a lower level, either using virtualization, or in hardware. Please search the forums, or start a new post for continued RAID discussion.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

Just to let you know I installed StartOS on a MiniPC NiPoGi AK2 Plus.
Its specs: Intel N100, SSD NVME 1TB, RAM 16GB DDR4, LAN 1GB.

I installed Bitcoin Core yesterday night and the sync has been synced to 65% now (never had this speed in my life lol).

Great machine for now! (1 day :D)

1 Like

It works on a MacBook Pro mid-2011 running Bitcoin Core

If I want to install a Bitcoin node + a Lightning network node on a mini PC to combine with a 2 tera SSD, can you suggest which components to buy?
I’ve read all the posts, but I’m very undecided and I don’t want to make mistakes
Thank you

At the very top of this list there are some specific models that you could purchase.

Hi there,
i came across your post and i was wondering the following. I just bought a 800 G2 mini and i saw that you had StartOS running on it. Do you have 1 central HD or do you have 2 HD’s, one for StartOS and 1 for running your node?

Just some general info that I hope is helpful:

StartOS currently supports only two drives. One for the OS, and a second drive for everything else. Additional drives are detected by the backup system that can be selected for that purpose. There is very little benefit to using two drives. StartOS is very small, so most of that drive would be wasted. If you’re thinking small SSD + large HDD, generally not a good idea. I personally have one of my machines setup this way, and it a bit of an exercise in frustration. The HDD simply doesn’t have the IO speed necessary to effectively run the Bitcoin stack. Everything is always waiting on that drive. I get a lot of time-out errors, and things often just won’t load. The best option in your StartOS server, is a single large NVME drive. I’d recommend 2TB min, and 4TB is you can afford the cost.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply and taking the time doing so. I was first thinking of a 2 SSD setup. One NVME for the OS en one SATAIII SSD for running a node. But since you said that the SSD for the OS is a waste of space and money, i think i go for a 2TB SATA III SSD. That should do the trick. Thanks!