Linux Laptop recomendations and distro

Having no problems with Start9 on my Mac Mini, trying to teach my self Linux and would like to switch to Linux completely
What Distro is playing nice with Start 9? and If one needed a laptop for mostly Start 9 tasks what would you get
thanks
RQ

I would start be reading through this list [Known-Good Hardware Master List] Hardware Capable of Running StartOS - #113 by start9dave

I traveled a similar path, starting as a mac guy and delving into Linux as a learning project. I’ve had no problems getting various flavors of Ubuntu (Xubuntu & Kubuntu) working. I’ve subsequently switched to Kali Linux (which is also Debian based like Ubuntu) and had little issues as well. I wouldn’t however recommend starting with Kali. The instructions from Start9 are excellent and had no problems following them. The only minor issue was that certain versions sandbox Firefox which caused issues getting tor to work. Switching the installed Firefox version to the non-sandboxed version solved this.

1 Like

Yes this is the path, thanks for the information
Ive not found how to install Firefox (non-Sandboxed) yet
after installing Ubuntu on this machine ill have to figure that out
great information!
I was a Windows guy in the 90’s early 2000’s for work (lots of stats and math work)
then switched to Mac for design and audio stuff
Maybe I’m being too paranoid by moving to Linux , don’t know. but I think its wise to move in that direction

Here is a link to the article that I used to switch the Firefox installation…

I still use both Mac and Linux, primarily as the rest of the family isn’t ready for the jump to Linux but I would certainly not have much trepidation about switching. I haven’t run across any issues the some google searching of errors from the command line haven’t quickly given solutions.

Most Linux distributions will work fine, but if you’re switching for the first time, you may like to use a distro aimed at new Linux users until you are comfortable. Mint is popular for Windows converts, and Elementary for Mac converts. Debian flavors (Debian, Ubuntu, etc) are generally the easiest to get started with and have the biggest community. You may later decide to switch. It can be addicting…

Awesome information
Been back in forth for awhile with help from start9 team via email and wanted to say thanks to you all ! been very helpful and above all patient with noobs like me
Before i switch from PureOS to a different distro, one last question:
I have both Librium Mini on a wired connection same router as the Start9 server
Just wondering if there are problems with this?
Thanks again for the help

Connecting a Librem Mini running PureOS and a StartOS server to the same router generally shouldn’t pose a concern. Routers are designed to handle multiple devices and services simultaneously. You would just need to ensure that each device has a unique IP address. If you encounter any issues, let us know and we will be happy to help you troubleshoot.

1 Like

Finally had a chance to get on this
Everything went well until install

Signatures couldn’t be verified
public key not available

Not sure where to go from here
:face_exhaling:

Went through this, still not successful in getting root CA trusted

Went with a new Laptop, the idea of Framework where it seems a more repairable option appealed to me. I very happy with this Laptop, wnet together well and loading Umbuntu was no problem. Never done that before, so I was a little stressed
Still unable to establish HTTPS though, been trying all the suggestions in this thread
I must be doing something wrong, I’ll keep trying
I keep checking the guides
The MacMini is running everthing great no complaints at all on the Start9 , best path Ive ever chosen
well I do have one complaint, to myself, I was going to order the Pro initially , however I will upgrade soon. That crazy magic internet money just keeps on trucking

What errors are you getting, and on which step of our guide?

After trying to install Firefox (non-sandboxed)
This is what I get

W: GPG error: https://packages.mozilla.org/apt mozilla InRelease: The following signatures couldn’t be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY C0BA5CE6DC6315A3
E: The repository ‘https://packages.mozilla.org/apt mozilla InRelease’ is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

I haven’t gone through the following suggested fix yet

I see, this is an issue with your client (Debian / apt). We probably need a #Random section for things like this. Generally, this will not be the place to seek help with your Linux machine, as there are many better resources online.

One problem with Linux after another
Just giving up on this
The Mac’s are having no issue, so Ill stick with that
It seemed as though people here were being successful , with Linux/Start 9
Figured that would be a the best place to ask

l

Sorry to hear that. Linux and StartOS provide the most sovereign stack and are in use by a huge percentage of our users. I hope you will give it another chance in the future.