Problem installing StartOS on Minisforum Venus Serie UM790 Pro mini-PC

While trying to install StartOS on Minisforum Venus Serie UM790 Pro mini-PC, I’m encountering the following message:

Install Type
RPC ERROR: Filesystem I/O Error mount: /media/embassy/tmp/EZPJZP43EOQMJPFFYN3S5OOIKEZOUU4QK62PA6LTAAYJV2CAGQQQ/current/sys/firmware/efi/efivars: unknown filesystem type ‘efivarfs’. dmesg(1) may have more information after failed mount system call.

Another message comes after the following attempt:

Install Type
RPC ERROR: Disk Management Error mkfs.vfat: unable to open /dev/nvme0n1p1: No such file or directory

Attached please find the screen shots.

After googling the error I found one suggestion to format the drive in Linux file system on any other computer and than try again on UM790, which I did to no avail. Before formatting with GParted the drive looked properly partitioned by UM790 with the main partition for StartOS, which could not be recognized and mount. I erased the drive and before formatting it was able to install Linux Mint as well as LMDE 6. After moving the freshly formatted drive back to UM790 the issue remained the same. I tried with single as well as dual drive configuration after reading one reply from Minisforum support advising to use two drives when installing Linux OS, since other users also had problems installing Linux on UM790 Pro.
Secure boot is disabled in BIOS, which is upgraded to the latest v1.09
RAM installed is 96 GB. I sent an email to Minisforum Support as well.

I was able to install StartOS on Minisforum UM780XTX but with existing BIOS v1.05 updated to the latest v1.06 after confronting the same error messages as with UM790 Pro. I also was able to install it on each of my laptops and desktop currently running Windows Server 2019, 2022 and Windows 10 Enterprise G - never any issue.

I could leave it on UM780XTX but I want to have it on UM790 Pro to use UM780XTX for other operating systems.
I’m not very experienced with Linux, except from time to time go back to Linux Mint and LMDE, which I like and am going to install on UM780XTX.

I would appreciate very much any thought on this.

Many thanks in advance.

Have you tried flashing the x86_64.iso or x86_64-nonfree.iso file, as outlined in the DIY x86 Flashing Guide?
Usually these issues you are running into are caused by not having the correct firmware for your hardware.
In rare cases with very new hardware it might need firmware that is not yet available.
Take a look at the Known Good Hardware Master List to see if any other community member has been successful at flashing StartOS on that particular hardware.

Thank you for the reply.

I was installing the nonfree iso, since the x86_64.iso did not install - I understand the latter lacks the drivers present in the nonfree, although I removed the wi-fi card from the off. If you are referring to flashing with balenaEtcher, I used Rufus - I remember reading comparison saying Rufus being a better choice - please do correct me if I’m wrong.

As to your point regarding the “very new hardware”, as I said, I was able to install on UM780XTX only after upgrading to the latest version of its BIOS but I did the same with UM790 Pro upgrading it to the latest.
I kept looking at the list of Known Good Hardware from the moment I decided to go with StartOS but never saw the UM790 Pro model. From Minisforum are mentioned only the following:

DeskMini UM350
EliteMini HM90
UM480XT
UM690S

Only UM690S is currently available but not in barebone version.

I initially was going to opt for TRIGKEY AMD Ryzen 7 Mini PC, 5800H, which is on that list and looks like a decent mini (I’m an AMD guy) but finally succumbed to UM790 Pro as more powerful, dual SSD option.

I was hoping someone with Linux knowledge could break down that error message so I can zoom in more to the reason for that failure, namely this line:
efivars: unknown filesystem type ‘efivarfs’.

Thank you.

Just flashed with balenaEtcher - same error.

Hello there.

The message unknown filesystem type 'efivarfs' indicates that the kernel does not recognize or support this filesystem type, which is necessary for handling EFI variables.

Possible Causes

1. Kernel Issues:
  • The Linux kernel might not have efivarfs support enabled or properly loaded.
  1. Boot Mode:
  • The system might not be booted in UEFI mode. efivarfs is only relevant in UEFI systems, not in legacy BIOS systems.
  1. Firmware/BIOS Settings:
  • There might be incorrect settings in the BIOS/UEFI firmware.
  1. Corrupted EFI Variables:
  • The EFI variables themselves might be corrupted, leading to mount failures.

What format you have actualy now on this drive?

I would try putting this drive into an enclosure with a USB cable and connecting it to a Linux distro. Then, identify the drive with the lsblk command and wipe it completely with the following command:

sudo wipefs -a -f /dev/[driveIdentifier]

This should give you a clean state, ready to format in exFAT or ext4, and try again.

Thank you for the reply.

With Kernel Issues I wouldn’t know any remedy if there was one.

Boot Mode is excluded, since the machine has only UEFI mode.

Firmware/BIOS Settings is rather truncated on UM790 Pro and there is not much to play with. I don’t see what would be wrong with the way it’s set, considering, that UM780XTX has almost the same settings and I’m running StartOS on it after upgrading the BIOS to the latest version.

Corrupt EFI Variables: is there any way to detect/identify it? - I don’t know.

As far as formatting, I did what you’ve suggested: as I said in my initial post, after I erased and formatted w/GParted first, I installed Linux Mint on one drive and wiped another one (did w/each drive), using the same command. I then tried it with clean disk and the formatted one with ext4 - nothing worked, StartOS just wouldn’t install. I also inserted the disk with SrartOS installed on UM780XTX but UM790 Pro didn’t see it.

Minisforum replied and suggested to ask StartOS support - so much for that.

I will try it again with the wipefs command and if the same persists, will wait for the BIOS update - might do the trick just like for UM780XTX.

Thanks again.

I also use the Minisforum Venus Serie UM790 Pro hardware.

Minisforum Venus Serie UM790 Pro

• AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS Processor, 8 Cores/16 Threads
  • AMD Radeon 780M Graphics
  • Crucial 32 Gb RAM DDR5-5600 (2x 16 Gb)
  • Lexar NM790 2 Tb SSD M.2 2280 (PCIe4.0 Gen4x4 NVMe 1.4)

The two settings I modified were:

BIOS > Advanced > Security Device Support > Disabled
BIOS > Security > Secure Boot > Disabled

Thank you, I have modded the BIOS in the same way from the off - I always disable Security Device. And Secure Boot, of course.

What version of BIOS do you have - 1.06 or 1.09? I was thinking of downgrading to 1.06 in case it helps - don’t know if it’s possible on that machine though.

Thank you.

Before installing Start9, I set up Windows 11 and applied all its updates, including updating the BIOS to version 1.09. During the StartOS installation, it will prompt you to overwrite or delete existing partitions.

Thank you, I will try that - I guess I should try everything, including Windows, although I did that with Linux Mint partition.

And only the x86_64-nonfree.iso file will work.

Confirmed. Free .iso installation didn’t go all the way and stopped, supposedly for video driver reason.

Hello there.

Thanks again for the suggestions and I just did it again according to your advice and again to no avail.

Attached please find the screen shots:

1. Same result after wiping the drive using “sudo wipefs -a -f /dev/[driveIdentifier]” - unformatted drive, clean install.

2. This is how the drive looks after the failure of installing on clean, unformatted one.

3. Wiped the drive again with “sudo wipefs -a -f /dev/[driveIdentifier]”

4. Formatted w/ext4 and re-installed.

5. Same error message.

Thanks again.

Hello.

Tried with Windows 11 as you’ve suggested - all updates etc. - no luck. Same errors as the rest of my screen shots posted.

Thank you.

To clarify my understanding, were you able to install Windows 11, yes or no?

If you successfully installed Windows 11:

Did you check the partitions after the installation and remove any non-Windows partitions using free software like “EaseUS Partition Master Free”?

Here’s how my Device Manager appeared on my Minisforum Venus Series UM790 Pro after installing Windows 11.

I kept Windows 11 intact (did NOT delete any of the Windows partitions) and proceeded to install StartOS.

During the StartOS installation I did overwrite Windows.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did successfully install Windows 11 but didn’t check for any non-Windows partitions as it was not mentioned in your first reply - I just installed/tried to on it.

I re-installed Windows 11 to follow your advice. I didn’t quite understand what Device Manager has to do with it all but attached is how mine looks like.

Windows Disk Manager shows 3 partitions, which are obviously Windows-created (screen shor 2) and Macrium and Paragon show 4 (screen shot 3).

As it often is with Windows and all of my Windows installations, Micro$oft creates this 16 MB unformatted partition, called “Micro$oft Reserved”, hence the Windows icon on it. I’ve never tried deleting that tiny partition, despite any time during the backup, Paragon’s asking for permission to process it as RAW bit by bit.

If you were referring to the same partition, please let me know and I will wait just to make sure I delete the right one.

Attached please find the screen shots:

01. Device Manager
02. Windows 11 Disk Manager
03. Macrium Reflect screen shot of Windows 11 disk.

Thank you.

I suggested installing Windows because we have the same hardware configuration, with the only differences being the RAM and SSD. By following the same steps, we should achieve the same result: a device running StartOS without any issues.

I have a hunch that your SSD might have a partition that is preventing the installation of StartOS. It’s a bit of a long shot, I admit.

Thank you for sharing the screenshots. The “Macrium Reflect” software appears to be similar to “EaseUS Partition Master Free.” However, I don’t see any partitions that I would recommend deleting.

From the device manager, I noticed that you have two hard drives installed: a Samsung 4 TB SSD and a Western Digital 500 GB SSD.
Does it make a difference if you remove the Western Digital SSD and attempt to install StartOS again?

If your Samsung 4 TB SSD is not detected (after you’ve removed the Western Digital SSD), try placing the Samsung drive in the other SSD slot.

Thank you for the reply.

Samsung 4 TB SSD has nothing to do with any installation - it’s a USB connected storage drive with my soft, some of which I installed after I installed Windows 11. It’s not present during the StartOS installation.

As for partitions, I posted the screens how my drive looks before and after the StartOS installation above. I also tried to install on 3 different drives.

Thanks again.

Thank you for the clarification regarding your external 4TB SSD. Setting aside the fact that a 500GB SSD is insufficient for running a full node, StartOS should install on your drives too.

I’m at a loss for any additional suggestions that could help resolve this issue. If you’re located in the Netherlands, I’d be open to meeting up to compare our settings in detail.

I’m a fan of Minis Forum, I’ve used their mini PCs for years. I haven’t installed StartOS on all of them obviously, but the couple I have worked fine.

One of the things I really liked was the old-school text based BIOS setup, really simple to switch things on and off for something like StartOS, which would obviously be tripped up by secure boot and other nonsense.

I wonder… since your error is specifically related to secure boot and other “EFI” nonsense, whether there’s something new in the BIOS/UEFI in these newer models?
Perhaps show us what it looks like and what options are there?

The only other thing I can thing of trying, just to get a better understanding of what’s happening, is remove the drive you’re working with. Place another in its place, and see if that one works and boots. Preferably another type of drive with a different interface (i.e. perhaps a SATA drive instead of a M.2).