Start9 server shutdown after a few minutes

Ssh logs

Those logs look fine.

I think we have to bring this back to the beginning and start again.

• Youā€™ve installed StartOS on a DIY device
  • The DIY device is a laptop
  • The laptop ā€˜shuts downā€™ after a few minutes

How do you know the laptop shuts down? Can you no longer access it from other devices on your LAN? Does it appear disconnected from the router? Can you access it from Tor Browser over itā€™s unique .onion?

Are you sure itā€™s not just the screen turning off because youā€™re using it in Kiosk mode directly on the laptop screen (not supported for long term use)

Ultimately your hardware might have a bios configuration that only youā€™ll be able to find, or your hardware might not work with StartOS.

Yes it is a laptop, and I installed the No free x86 version
All is find when I turn it on , os loads , I login with my pw,
And I can also access it over tor and my local network on another laptop,
Everything works ok and after 10 or so the green connected bar in left bottom of screen turns gray and changes to shutting down
Laptop seems to be still running

I donā€™t think anyone is going to have a firm answer for you, since you are the only one with this hardware. The best we can probably do is give you some educated guesses.

If the laptop shuts down after a random amount of timeā€¦ Iā€™d lean towards guessing some kind of shutdown signal because of overheatingā€¦ but your laptop sounds new, so it canā€™t be that.

If the laptop triggers a shut down after a specific amount of time not in use, the same amount of time each time always, Iā€™d assume it was some kind of power saving, some ACPI signal to shut down from the underlying hardware/BIOS.

If you canā€™t figure it out, my recommendation to you would be to install a more robust multiple-purpose client linux OS, install Proxmox and virtualize StartOS in simulated hardware you can better control. With 32gigs of RAM, you could even set up more than one VM.

I am very tech savvy and Donā€™t know a about virtual machines , is it possible to put that ssd into another laptop and would it work, I have another dell with Linux mint on it, just swap them around
Or I was gonna first try to reinstall on the same computer to see what happens
Guess thereā€™s not much else

You can try the new laptop by swapping the drive and might have better luck with it.
You did flash the non free version of StartOS in the first place, right?
Take a look at the Known Good Hardware Master List to see if this other laptop has been tested by anyone else in the community.
When using DIY devices that have not been tested it is difficult to know exactly how they will react.

So many good suggestions on this page from others.
A few of mine:

• Many times in the past Iā€™ve had memory modules causing the probrems of ALL types of craziness. Best to run a memory test (sometimes offered in the BIOS or startup options), run with just one at a time, swap the positions of them (A & B ā†’ B and A), etc.

• Also the battery itself could be failing if itā€™s really old, physically expanding, and smashing components on the motherboard.

• can you boot up from a live USB of any linux distro, just to see if the computer can run on some other OS with the same issue?

Hope you find the issue!

1 Like

Tried to do a reinstall of os and got this error message
Processing: 1A9472C1-1B9C-4606-A112-23439CC8E99D.jpegā€¦

Iā€™m guessing the i386 mention is a mistakeā€¦ you might have set some kind of legacy boot in the BIOS. That could be why the bootloader canā€™t be found. But maybe thereā€™s something up with your disk too. Is it new?

No it is the same on I have been using, same one I did the original setup and transfer, was trying reinstall to see if it would correct the shutdown issue
When booting from a usb - what should bios settings be for usb boot