HowTo: Migrate from Umbrel 0.5.x to Embassy

Caution: this guide only applies to Umbrel version 0.5.x. For 0.4.x, see this guide.

WARNING: DO NOT EVER START UP YOUR UMBREL AGAIN - IF YOU DO, IT IS POSSIBLE YOU COULD LOSE MONEY VIA PENALTY TRANSACTIONS

Migrating your LND channels (and optionally the Bitcoin blockchain) from Umbrel 0.5.x to a Start9 Embassy

• If you’re on Linux or macOS, please follow this guide to get ssh setup and working on your Embassy.

• If you’re on Windows, use this guide to get SSH setup. Note that the ssh username is ‘start9’. WinSCP or Filezilla may be the program you want to use to move the data but the rest of this guide will provide commands as if we are on a macOS or Linux machine.

First, make a directory called umbreldata and cd there:

mkdir -p ~/umbreldata/bitcoin && cd ~/umbreldata

SSH into your umbrel:

ssh umbrel@umbrel.local
#You will be asked for your Umbrel's dashboard password
# Once ssh'd in, then run:
sudo ./umbrel/scripts/stop

You’ll see Umbrel services shutting down like this:

Back on your local computer’s terminal, copy the data from your umbrel to your local umbreldata folder:

rsync -vr umbrel@umbrel.local:~/umbrel/app-data/lightning/data/lnd ~/umbreldata/

Optional: If you are also trying to skip having to do IBD on your Embassy, copy the Bitcoin blockchain data:

#Copy the blockchain from your umbrel to your local computer (this ~500GB transfer may take hours):
rsync -vr umbrel@umbrel.local:~/umbrel/app-data/bitcoin/data/bitcoin/{blocks,chainstate} ~umbreldata/bitcoin/
#Copy the blockchain data from your local computer to the embassy (this ~500GB transfer may take hours):
# IMPORTANT: In the next line, replace embassy-XXXXXXX.local with your embassy's hostname
rsync --rsync-path="sudo mkdir -p /embassy-data/package-data/volumes/bitcoind/data/main ; sudo rsync" ~/umbreldata/bitcoin/{blocks,chainstate} start9@embassy-XXXXXXX.local:/embassy-data/package-data/volumes/bitcoind/data/main/

Now copy the LND data:

# IMPORTANT: In the next line, replace embassy-XXXXXXX.local with your embassy's hostname
rsync -vr --rsync-path="sudo mkdir -p /embassy-data/package-data/volumes/lnd/data/main ; sudo rsync" ~/umbreldata/lnd/* start9@embassy-XXXXXXXX.local:/embassy-data/package-data/volumes/lnd/data/main/

SSH into your Embassy and insert your Umbrel’s dashboard password into pwd.dat:

ssh start9@embassy-XXXXXXX.local
sudo -i
echo -n 'moneyprintergobrrr' > /embassy-data/package-data/volumes/lnd/data/main/pwd.dat

If everything looks ok, free up 500GB of hard drive space by deleting your local copy of the blockchain (in your terminal on your local machine):

rm -rf ~/umbrel/bitcoin

Start the Bitcoin & LND services on your Embassy!

WARNING: DO NOT EVER START UP YOUR UMBREL AGAIN - IF YOU DO, IT IS POSSIBLE YOU COULD LOSE MONEY VIA PENALTY TRANSACTIONS

3 Likes

I just gave this a try. Copied all the files to the right place. But when I start up LND I’m seeing this in the logs:

[/lnrpc.Lightning/GetInfo]: wallet locked, unlock it to enable full RPC access

Further up I see

Waiting for wallet encryption password. Use `lncli create` to create a wallet, `lncli unlock` to unlock an existing wallet, or `lncli changepassword` to change the password of an existing wallet and unlock it.

Would this actually help? How can I run lncli?

I’m also seeing this in the logs

[/lnrpc.WalletUnlocker/UnlockWallet]: invalid passphrase for master public key

I followed the step to put the Umbrel password in the pwd.dat file.

Can you try instead “moneyprintergobrrr” as the pwd.dat step while ssh’d into your embassy:

echo -n 'moneyprintergobrrr' > /embassy-data/package-data/volumes/lnd/data/main/pwd.dat

That worked! Thanks!

1 Like

Great, thanks for the feedback. I updated the guide to reflect that.

1 Like

Just wanted to drop this here - Transform your Umbrel into an Embassy without losing your Lightning channels | by Start9 Labs | Medium

This is for if you’re migrating from Umbrel <v0.5